Download Reference Manual
The Developer's Library for D
About Wiki Forums Source Search Contact

"Advanced" forum usage

Moderators: larsivi

Posted: 02/02/07 12:32:06

I'm interested in how to use the more advanced administrative usages.

1) How to use forums on other pages (like the XML discussions one)? 2) How to just display items from a forum (for instance News to display on the frontpage)? 3) If it is hidden, is it then hidden from the forum listing? Who has access? The added moderators? Can this be used for news items (see 2) ?

Posted: 02/02/07 14:44:45 -- Modified: 02/02/07 15:04:40 by
pragma -- Modified 3 Times

larsivi wrote:

I'm interested in how to use the more advanced administrative usages.

1) How to use forums on other pages (like the XML discussions one)? 2) How to just display items from a forum (for instance News to display on the frontpage)? 3) If it is hidden, is it then hidden from the forum listing? Who has access? The added moderators? Can this be used for news items (see 2) ?

Unfortunately, the macros required to do this are still a work in progress. Compared to the rest of the forum system, they shouldn't prove too hard to code up. I'm still working out the logistics of how it should all interface with the timeline and searching interfaces (I'm open to suggestions). I may have to expand the number of modes for any given forum, given the wider variety of uses a trac-forum has over a PHPBB one.

Hiding a forum merely hides it on the forum index page. It will still be open for modification by normal users - they will just have to use an interface outside the forum system itself. This is what the planned set of macros will provide. Optionally, the forums backing up these parts of the site can be left un-hidden, if for any reason people want to use the forums to track that stuff instead.

Locking a forum ensures that only administrators and moderators can post topics and messages under that forum. However, it also widens the permissions to allow those moderators to edit the forum properties itself (this may change).

I also want to set up some forum categories, and some kind of sorting capability, for the forum index page. I can already see situations where the number of forums will bloat and make the list hard to use.

Posted: 02/04/07 18:01:02

Hmm, I tried to modify a forum to add a moderator, but nothing happened when I clicked Add.

Posted: 02/05/07 01:32:51

larsivi wrote:

Hmm, I tried to modify a forum to add a moderator, but nothing happened when I clicked Add.

Good catch. Looks like there's a bug in IE (and possibly other browsers) that causes that scrip to break. FYI, it works under Firefox.

Posted: 02/05/07 11:21:46

I used Konqueror (WebKit? afaik)