Download Reference Manual
The Developer's Library for D
About Wiki Forums Source Search Contact

Problem with 0.99 build-gdc-mac.sh

Moderators: kris

Posted: 07/28/07 19:21:37

I am currently having problems with installing 0.99 Tango, specifically the build scripts in the lib folder.

$ ./build-gdc-mac.sh 

: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

First off, the script is not finding my /bin/sh. Manually running the command as follows:

$ sh ./build-gdc-mac.sh 

: command not found line 2: 
: No such file or directory cd: .
: command not found line 5: 
'/build-gdc-mac.sh: line 7: syntax error near unexpected token `do
'/build-gdc-mac.sh: line 7: `for target in powerpc-apple-darwin8 i686-apple-darwin8; do

It appears that something in the file (probalby from what ever editor created the file) included some invisible characters in the line breaks. Doing a copy and past of the script from and to a vim editor produced this:

$ ./build-gdc-mac2.sh 

make[1]: *** No rule to make target `clean'.  Stop.
make: *** [clean] Error 2
./build-gdc-x.sh: line 1: ./compiler/gdc/config.guess: Permission denied
~/Software/D/Tango/0.99/tango-0.99-src/lib/compiler/gdc ~/Software/D/Tango/0.99/tango-0.99-src/lib
./build-gdc-x.sh: line 35: ./configure: Permission denied
mv: rename common/libtango.a to common/libtango.a.ppc: No such file or directory
mv: rename gc/libbasic.a to gc/libbasic.a.ppc: No such file or directory
mv: rename libgphobos.a to libgphobos.a.ppc: No such file or directory
./build-gdc-x.sh: line 1: ./compiler/gdc/config.guess: Permission denied
~/Software/D/Tango/0.99/tango-0.99-src/lib/compiler/gdc ~/Software/D/Tango/0.99/tango-0.99-src/lib
./build-gdc-x.sh: line 35: ./configure: Permission denied
mv: rename common/libtango.a to common/libtango.a.i386: No such file or directory
mv: rename gc/libbasic.a to gc/libbasic.a.i386: No such file or directory
mv: rename libgphobos.a to libgphobos.a.i386: No such file or directory
lipo: can't open input file: common/libtango.a.ppc (No such file or directory)
lipo: can't open input file: gc/libbasic.a.ppc (No such file or directory)
lipo: can't open input file: libgphobos.a.ppc (No such file or directory)

After doing this copy, it can now find my /bin/sh, however there seems to be some issues with finding the files needed to compile the libraries.

As a note, I am running GDC for OS X version 0.23 on OS X 10.4.10, and I have confirmed that GDC is insalled correctly and it does compile programs correctly with no errors.

If anyone has any ideas, I am open to sugestions

Posted: 07/29/07 21:22:32

I'm having the exact same issues and have tried the exact same things. I tried running the script thru col -bx and get the exact same ouput.

Brian

Posted: 08/07/07 17:48:02

Is anybody looking into this? I'd sure like to get Tango working on OSX. The last two versions I tried have failed to build on OSX for one reason or another. I know we're like less than 1% of your user base, but I hope we don't fall between the cracks.

Posted: 08/07/07 19:08:04

It turns out that the 0.99-src.tar.gz package was created with erroneous (Windows) line endings in the build scripts. We hope to replace the package soon, but it shouldn't be a problem picking up the latest snapshot instead.