Welcome to cv2pdb
cv2pdb is a converter of DMD CodeView and GDC DWARF debug information to PDB debug format to make it accessible to current tools and debuggers.
The goal of this project is to make debugging of D applications that were created with the DMD or GDC compiler, as seamless as possible in current versions of Visual Studio (i.e Visual Studio 2008 and VCExpress).
As a side effect, other applications might also benefit from the converted debug information, like WinDbg and DMC.
cv2pdb can now be installed as part of Visual D which features integration of the D programming language into Visual Studio.
|Status||4 - Beta|
|Short Description||Convert DMD CodeView debug information to PDB-Format|
|Operating System||Windows XP,Vista|
|License||Artistic License 2.0|
- conversion of DMD CodeView information to PDB file
- conversion of DWARF debug information to PDB file
- converted line number info allows setting breakpoints
- display of variables, fields and objects in watch, local and auto window and in data tooltips
- convenient display of dynamic and associative arrays in watch windows
- demangles function names for convenient display of callstack
- also works debugging executables built with the Digital Mars C/C++ compiler DMC
2013-05-11 Version 0.27
- fixed crash when converting DWARF locations using 8 bytes or more
2012-11-09 Version 0.26
- now iterating over multiple entries in the debug directory to find CodeView info
2012-06-16 Version 0.25
- new option -p allows to specify the embedded PDB reference in the binary
- added support for VS2012
2012-05-01 Version 0.24
- supports unicode characters in file names
- improve interpretation of DWARF location expression
The current binary package can be downloaded here.
The sources can be retreived from the SVN repository or from the source package.
There is no dedicated installation program, a simple copy of the executable is enough to use it. A few manual extra steps should be done for the best debugging experience. Read more...
If you are updating from a previous version of cv2pdb, please make sure that the versions of cv2pdb.exe, dviewhelper.dll and the snippets in autoexp.dat are compatible with each other. The easy way is to take them from the same package.
The executable is a command line program, that creates a PDB file from the CodeView debug information found in the executable to debug. Read more...
If you are not among the faint-hearted, you might want to patch DMD for even better debug experience. Read more...