FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

is phobos going to be hosted on dsource?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: is phobos going to be hosted on dsource? Reply with quote

Walter recently made a comment on the newsgroups that he would not mind if phobos was taken over by the community and hosted on dsource.org.

I'm just starting this thread to see if Brad will put phobos on dsource now? I'm sure there are issues and such before doing so, but I'm very interested to see if it is going to be hosted here or not.
JoeCoder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't track the newsgroup, but this sounds pretty cool. Other than bug fixes, I'd say an improved standard library is the one thing needed to bring D to the masses, unless you count marketting.

Link to the original thread?
jcc7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeCoder wrote:
Link to the original thread?
Here are some of the key posts by Walter...

From digitalmars.D/42819:
Walter wrote:
I encourage, and have encouraged, anyone who wants to do this [community collaboration on Phobos?]. Any or all parts of Phobos can be used as a starting point. The compiler is my central focus, to enable great libraries to be written.

From digitalmars.D/42822:
Walter wrote:
The license for the Phobos source code certainly allows that, and that's part of the point of having the license be that way. So no, I have no problem with that.

From digitalmars.D/42844:
Walter wrote:
I'm happy to merge things in, but am reluctant to do so without
reviewing the diffs line by line.
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, at first it seemed like Walter wouldn't mind, but there was some sort of miscommunication going on, Derek thought Walter would be willing to let go of phobos and leave it totally up to the community, but Walter still wants to review changes line by line, which pretty much guarentees major changes to phobos will not take place and that phobos will not be able to be hosted on dsource.org.
larsivi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm personally of the opinion that patching Phobos is a short term solution to the problem that (IMO) is Phobos itself. There is much good that can be gleaned from Phobos in terms of functionality, but as a standard library for D as a language (and not just Windows and Linux versions of DMD), it is wide off the mark.

Note that any solution (if something can be called that) must be a longterm effort and properly organized, otherwise it won't be any better. Routines must established and a framework that can support m compilers and n platforms must exist.

It is obvious that the time for creating something like what I envision is much more mature now than it was 3 years ago when I first proposed something like this, and also 2 years ago when Ares was started. Ares still is a good start, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Potential Projects All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: