FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WTL for D

View previous topic :: View next topic  
qbert

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: WTL for D Reply with quote

With WTL becoming open source ( im not sure the source wasn't always available actually, just that now its on SF ) I think a D port would be very cool. Its only 18 files t totalling ~38K lines , unfotunately it sits atop ATL so that might pose a problem. Thoughts ?

Charles
jcc7

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: WTL for D Reply with quote

qbert wrote:
With WTL becoming open source ( im not sure the source wasn't always available actually, just that now its on SF ) I think a D port would be very cool. Its only 18 files t totalling ~38K lines , unfotunately it sits atop ATL so that might pose a problem. Thoughts ?

Charles
I'm in favor of porting everything to D, but I do wonder if ATL dependancy could be a show-stopper.

Is the ATL source freely available? If not, I think that would pose some serious licensing issues for a D port of WTL. (If it's available, please let me know where so I can take a look at it. I found a ATL folder in the MS platform SDK, but it just looks like wrappers the depend on files that I don't have.)

I've already glanced at the WTL source, but I can't tell what's going on. That's probably due to my lack of experience with C++.

(Edit: I guess I should note that there's a thread on this topic in the official newsgroup, too.)
jcc7

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: WTL and ATL Reply with quote

I've looked on the web for some more ATL info. Apparently, atlcom.h as in
"\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\atl\include\atlcom.h" is one of the essential ATL files. I guess I need to install Visual Studio to have this file.

I did find this file in the Microsoft SDK:
include\Win64\atl\atlcom.h with this cryptic message:
Quote:
// This is a part of the Active Template Library.
// Copyright (C) 1996-1998 Microsoft Corporation
// All rights reserved.
//
// This source code is only intended as a supplement to the
// Active Template Library Reference and related
// electronic documentation provided with the library.
// See these sources for detailed information regarding the
// Active Template Library product.

Some other references that I've found:
A short article discussing WTL
ATL section at The Code Project

I'm intrigued by the idea of porting WTL to D, but I still have concerns about the ATL-dependence. For example, Win64\atlcom.h is 5k lines long. The folder contains about 1 MB of source code.
svanleent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: WTL versus ATL Reply with quote

Although WTL is public domain, it has a very strict dependency on ATL.

ATL -- in contrast to WTL -- is licensed. Thereby, I think support to DWT or DUI would be a better benifit for the language and it's users group, since we can better have one good GUI API as tens of wrong API's.
Shawn Liu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except license, the WTL itself is not easy to port to D, since it is an architecture of multiple-inheritance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Potential Projects All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: