FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Channel and templates

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BenHinkle

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Channel and templates Reply with quote

I don't know if Mike's going to be reading this or not, but here goes...

Mike's Channel port at http://www.csis.gvsu.edu/~swietonm/concurrent.tar.bz2 uses templates and he asked if this is a good idea or not.

It sounds ok to me but I think the generic version should be called something like TChannel and the Object versions should be aliased to Channel. So users who just want to put/take Objects can declare
Channel x = ...
and users who want more control can declare
TChannel!(my_data_structure) x = ...
swieton

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Type-safety versus easy use Reply with quote

First off, I noticed I had some inconsistancies in argument order in the new API, so that will definitely change.

Anyway, the advantage of templates is type-safety. The disadvantage of templates is that the code should support variables with value semantics (primitives, etc), which means no more 'just return null'-style reporting, which is why I moved to returning booleans and using out parameters.

I'm not sure I like the change, because it makes it hard to use. Now, I *do* like the idea of using templates to restrict the types. I am somewhat tempted to have a templated version that only allows reference types that follows Doug's API more faithfully, and maybe keeping a second version that's more generic.

An alias could be made to Channel!(Object) for a Java-style channel.

Thoughts?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Concurrent All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: