FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Docs are done... Next!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aldacron

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Docs are done... Next! Reply with quote

Finally, I have the initial draft of all of the docs. I encourage everyone to browse through them and look for any glaring mistakes (grammar, spelling, information, whatever). Also, if you are not on the new contributors list and should be, or are on it but are credited improperly, please let me know.

Now, the next step is to get one sample source file into each package. This one sample will do nothing more than load a particular library and make a function call or two. This is for people who download individual packages under the new release scheme.

As for the new release scheme, I finally fixed on something I like:

DerelictCore.zip - contains the top-level trunk files, DerelictUtil, and *all* of the documentation in the docs directory. The jury is still out on including Build in this archive, but it's a possiblity.

Derelict*.zip - individual packages; contains no files or directories above the package itself; includes on simple sample but no documentation other than the README (the idea is that since DerelictCore is required, the documenation will get downloaded anyway)

DerelictSamples.zip - contains more complex examples which are part of the trunk/samples directory (yet to be created) for those who want them.

Maybe there will also be a DerelictAll which bundles everything up into one fat zip for those who want everything, but I'm inclined to not provide it since people can easily check out the trunk. I'll think about it some more.

Anyway, that's what the plan is. As always, feedback is welcome and wanted.
JJR

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

The documentation looks great with the new framed style. All Derelict needs now is a fancy graphic logo. Smile

As for the samples, I still have some of those sitting on my hard drive for GLFW, windows and linux. I guess I should merge them so that they can be compiled and tested on both platforms. I may as well also add "build" tool pragma's so that the build process is even easier for the user. When you decide to compile the samples, just let me know.

The GLFW project has released version 2.5 so I think I should update the Derelict version soon. I'm not sure why they haven't added shared library support to the linux version. Until they do, this makes using DerelictGLFW on linux a real hassle and only for adventurous users (because of the modifications to the C source and makefiles that's necessary). Maybe I'll keep prodding Marcus a little more over at the sourceforge forum. Version 2.5, by the way, fixes the glfwSetTime issue described in the Derelict docs; it's now exported with the other functions.

Thanks, Mike, for the credits, BTW. It was very kind of you. Smile

I did a small update to fix a name spelling.

-JJR
aldacron

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJR wrote:
Mike,

The documentation looks great with the new framed style. All Derelict needs now is a fancy graphic logo. Smile

Oh, a logo! Too bad I'm not an artist. I'm still not entirely satisified with the docs. I'll probably CSSify them.

Quote:

As for the samples, I still have some of those sitting on my hard drive for GLFW, windows and linux. I guess I should merge them so that they can be compiled and tested on both platforms. I may as well also add "build" tool pragma's so that the build process is even easier for the user. When you decide to compile the samples, just let me know.

Just send them on whenever you are ready. I'll knock up samples for the other packages as I get around to them, so no rush.

Quote:

The GLFW project has released version 2.5 so I think I should update the Derelict version soon. I'm not sure why they haven't added shared library support to the linux version. Until they do, this makes using DerelictGLFW on linux a real hassle and only for adventurous users (because of the modifications to the C source and makefiles that's necessary). Maybe I'll keep prodding Marcus a little more over at the sourceforge forum. Version 2.5, by the way, fixes the glfwSetTime issue described in the Derelict docs; it's now exported with the other functions.

Cool, it would be nice to have this. But no hurry. In fact, it may be better to hold off until after the smoke clears from the new release structure. Then you can just update it at your leisure.

Quote:

Thanks, Mike, for the credits, BTW. It was very kind of you. Smile

Less than you deserve. You've put a lot of work into this project, and encouraged me when I've bounced my ideas around. It's really nice to know that you, and the others who have helped in different ways, are out there and that I don't have to do all of this by myself!

Quote:

I did a small update to fix a name spelling.

I just went through and added headings to both the general and package docs, and for the general docs also corrected several errors and tried to improve the readability a little. My eyes are too blurry to proof the project docs. So I'm done for the day. Going to see Episode III early (as in too early) tomorrow morning and it's past 2:30 am here.
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The docs look pretty good. It might be helpful to make them browse-able online (using svn propset -R svn:mime-type text/html docs/) and ask brad to put a home page link on your project pointing to the docs.

Thanks for including me in the credits btw Smile
aldacron

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clayasaurus wrote:
It might be helpful to make them browse-able online (using svn propset -R svn:mime-type text/html docs/) and ask brad to put a home page link on your project pointing to the docs.

Done.

Quote:
Thanks for including me in the credits btw Smile

And thank you for all of your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Derelict All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: