FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

On the fallacies of the name: D isn't the way.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
transkinetic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: On the fallacies of the name: D isn't the way. Reply with quote

--On the fallacies of the name: D isn't the way.--

D is too generic of a name to give this language the publicity it deserves. It's simply a single character from the alphabet. A search for D by way of google reveals very little to do with the actual language as such results are too mixed into other uses of the letter. It's just as bad or perhaps worse than naming the language The. I greatly fear for whatever language gets (or has gotten?) the title of E.

Does anyone share my fears?
Anyone not (how come?)?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JJR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh... well that viewpoint has been argued many times on the main d newsgroup. Have a look there. Maybe even post the question there again and see what happens Smile.

I'm afraid I have little desire to wrangle on this issue here at dsource. The D name doesn't seem to be a problem for most people, me included. Type in "D programming" at Google and see what you get. No problem.

- JJR
transkinetic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: --- Reply with quote

It's good to hear that it's been brought up before. I guess I'll let it rest then. The name C certainly didn't seem to hurt the language.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed
Derek Parnell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: On the fallacies of the name: D isn't the way. Reply with quote

transkinetic wrote:
--On the fallacies of the name: D isn't the way.--

D is too generic of a name to give this language the publicity it deserves. It's simply a single character from the alphabet. A search for D by way of google reveals very little to do with the actual language as such results are too mixed into other uses of the letter. It's just as bad or perhaps worse than naming the language The. I greatly fear for whatever language gets (or has gotten?) the title of E.

Does anyone share my fears?
Anyone not (how come?)?

No. I just googled "D programming Language Digital Mars" and got 9100 hits. So I don't think that the name is too bad.

Imaging if it had been called something like 'mars', you'd get so many spurious hits it would be worse than not enough hits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: