FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Built the libs, but cannot import?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Built the libs, but cannot import? Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I was able to download the Derelict libs and build the solution in both release and debug mode. I now have a populated lib folder with all of the libraries.

I am now trying to build a simple OpenGL triangle window with SDL, but am having problems linking. I have tried with both VisualD and D-IDE to include the library path.

Steps I've taken with D-IDE
1.) Added C:\Derelict\lib\DerelictSDL.lib and other libs in the Global Settings of dmd2 Library Paths (which contains all of my .lib files)
2.) Clicked on my projects settings and went to D Settings and added to Imported libraries C:\Derelict\import\derelict\sdl (which contains all the .di files)
3.) Downloaded SDL.dll and placed it write next to my main.d source file.

Error message I get:
C:\..\..\..\..\testConsole\testConsole\main.d(1): Error: module sdl is in file 'derelict\sdl\sdl.d' which cannot be read

I guess I've always had trouble understanding the linking process in both D and C/C++. Any walkthroughs, advice, or known issues to get things up and running? (Even if it means downloading a new IDE, or just compiling from command line)

Thanks,
Mike
MikeS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuck, after hours of digging and messing around here is the solution.

Step 0:
Find Derelict.sln and build all the libraries
Step 1:
In Project Settings/Linker/General add these libs
C:\Derelict\lib\DerelictSDL.lib C:\Derelict\lib\DerelictGL.lib C:\Derelict\lib\DerelictUtil.lib
Step 2:
In ProjectSettings/DMD/General add this path to your import libraries
C:\Derelict\import
Step 3:
Download SDL.dll and drop it in your project folder next to your sources

As of this date, ignore any editing of the sc.ini file.

If you want to do this from command line, do this(untested! you may have to also include your d files as well:
dmd -g -debug -X -Xf"$(IntDir)\$(TargetName).json" -IC:\Derelict\import -deps="$(OutDir)\$(ProjectName).dep" -of"$(OutDir)\$(ProjectName).exe_cv" -map "$(INTDIR)\$(SAFEPROJECTNAME).map" -L/NOMAP C:\Derelict\lib\DerelictSDL.lib C:\Derelict\lib\DerelictGL.lib C:\Derelict\lib\DerelictUtil.lib

Note that you will have to type out $(ProjectName), and that you can also get rid of some flags like building the .json documentation(this is just a straight copy and paste from visualD)

Hopefully this saves others time in the future...Some keywords below to help.
Keywords: import,linking,loading,SDL errors, import, etc.
aldacron

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Built the libs, but cannot import? Reply with quote

MikeS wrote:

Error message I get:
C:\..\..\..\..\testConsole\testConsole\main.d(1): Error: module sdl is in file 'derelict\sdl\sdl.d' which cannot be read

This is not a linker error, but a compiler error. Whenever you see something like this, it means that particular module is not in your import path. I see you've already figured it out, but if your modules are in the package 'foo', and physically located in /import/foo, then your import path needs to contain /import, and not /import/foo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Derelict All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: