FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

String conversions with functions in derelict.il.ilut

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silveri

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: String conversions with functions in derelict.il.ilut Reply with quote

Hi, I'm using Derelict2 (revision 556) with dmd 2.053 on WinXP, and I've started working with the DevIL bindings and have had a few odd problems.

First, when trying to import the library with:
Code:
import derelict.il.il;

I got the following error:
Quote:
Error: module il is in file 'derelict\devil\il.d' which cannot be read

I fixed this by renaming my "\import\derelict\il" directory to "import\derelict\devil" and used
Code:
import derelict.devil.il;

instead.

Anyway, after doing that I got it right to call the following function without problem:
Code:
ilLoadImage("test.png");

(I haven't actually tested it's result yet, but it at least didn't segfault), but when I try a similar call with the following function (from devil.ilut):
Code:
ilutGLLoadImage("test.png");

it doesn't even compile, and throws the following error:
Quote:
Error: cannot implicitly convert expression ("test.png") of type string to char*

I attempted to use toStringz(), but it threw an error about toStringz() only returning immutable(char)*, instead of char*. Regardless, I can convert it on my own and get it to compile at least (still segfaults, but I could've made a mistake with the initialization), but shouldn't the function wrapper be able to handle D2's native strings (like the call to ilLoadImage())?

PS: Except for these few oddities the Derelict library seems to be quite excellent, and has made OpenGL programming much easier. Thanks, it's much appreciated!
aldacron

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: String conversions with functions in derelict.il.ilut Reply with quote

Silveri wrote:

First, when trying to import the library with:
Code:
import derelict.il.il;

I got the following error:
Quote:
Error: module il is in file 'derelict\devil\il.d' which cannot be read

I fixed this by renaming my "\import\derelict\il" directory to "import\derelict\devil" and used
Code:
import derelict.devil.il;

instead.

That was from a silly mistake in the make file. It's fixed in SVN.

Quote:
Anyway, after doing that I got it right to call the following function without problem:
Code:
ilLoadImage("test.png");

(I haven't actually tested it's result yet, but it at least didn't segfault), but when I try a similar call with the following function (from devil.ilut):
Code:
ilutGLLoadImage("test.png");

it doesn't even compile, and throws the following error:
Quote:
Error: cannot implicitly convert expression ("test.png") of type string to char*

I attempted to use toStringz(), but it threw an error about toStringz() only returning immutable(char)*, instead of char*. Regardless, I can convert it on my own and get it to compile at least (still segfaults, but I could've made a mistake with the initialization), but shouldn't the function wrapper be able to handle D2's native strings (like the call to ilLoadImage())?

First, Derelict has no function "wrappers". All of the bound functions are pointers to C functions, so they use the C calling convention and don't know anything about D strings.

Second, all of the function pointers in Derelict are declared to match the C declaration as closely as possible. ilutGLoadImage is declared in C to take a parameter of type ILstring, whereas liLoadImage uses ILconst_string, so Derelict does the same. ILstring is an alias to char*, and ILconst_string is aliased (in D2) as const(char)*.That's why the former fails with toStringz strings, but the latter succeeds. Changing the declaration of ilutGLLoadImage to take an ILconst_string would be bad form, because then it wouldn't match the C declaration.

Quote:
PS: Except for these few oddities the Derelict library seems to be quite excellent, and has made OpenGL programming much easier. Thanks, it's much appreciated!

You're welcome! And thank you for reporting your problems.
Silveri

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: String conversions with functions in derelict.il.ilut Reply with quote

Quote:
First, Derelict has no function "wrappers". All of the bound functions are pointers to C functions, so they use the C calling convention and don't know anything about D strings.

Second, all of the function pointers in Derelict are declared to match the C declaration as closely as possible. ilutGLoadImage is declared in C to take a parameter of type ILstring, whereas liLoadImage uses ILconst_string, so Derelict does the same. ILstring is an alias to char*, and ILconst_string is aliased (in D2) as const(char)*.That's why the former fails with toStringz strings, but the latter succeeds. Changing the declaration of ilutGLLoadImage to take an ILconst_string would be bad form, because then it wouldn't match the C declaration.

Okay, that makes sense; thanks for the explanation. And I've got it working fine now (even eventually with the unicode version of the DevIL dll's).

BTW, I saw a ticket (http://www.dsource.org/projects/derelict/ticket/30) about possibly setting a directory from which the libraries should load. Is there any news on that front? It seems like an awesome and useful idea.
aldacron

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: String conversions with functions in derelict.il.ilut Reply with quote

Silveri wrote:
BTW, I saw a ticket (http://www.dsource.org/projects/derelict/ticket/30) about possibly setting a directory from which the libraries should load. Is there any news on that front? It seems like an awesome and useful idea.

It's on my todo list. It's something I think would be useful, too.

For me, development on Derelict for a long time has been a "when I have the time and feel like it" kind of thing. I try to get bugs squashed as soon as I hear of them, but as for updates and new features it's been rather slow. Derelict 2 has been "in development" for longer than I care to think about. Confused

But, since you're not the first person to ask for it, I'll see about looking into it this weekend. No promises, though!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Derelict All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: