FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BIG NEWS: Name change, possible port, and moving!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JarrettBillingsley

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: BIG NEWS: Name change, possible port, and moving! Reply with quote

It's pretty amazing to think that I've been working on MiniD for SIX YEARS now.. and all six years I've done it on DSource. For no cost. I owe Mr. Anderson several cases of beer (cause I know he likes that sort of thing).

But things change. I'm having less and less confidence in D2 and D in general. As much as I love working in D, there are so many practical issues with it. I've had some people take interest in MiniD, and I'm sure there are people using it even now, but as long as it's in D (especially D1), the audience will always be severely limited.

This doesn't mean I'm stopping work on it. Not at all; I'll probably continue to develop it in D for a little while at least, but I'm also seriously considering porting it to C/C++ (likely C++ with a C interface). If nothing else, it'll help get exposure. And perhaps I can develop both the C/C++ and the D versions simultaneously.

Because of this shift in development, and also because the name doesn't fit the language anymore at all, I'm going to be renaming it. From now on, MiniD will be called Croc. Why Croc? Cause I like it, that's why. And because I was going to call it Newt but APPARENTLY someone took the name about 6 months ago and they even took newt-lang.org Crying or Very sad

Because it may not be entirely a D project anymore, I figure it's only fair that I move development elsewhere. I decided to move it to github, cause that's what's all the cool kids are doing these days. I'll learn git in the process.

I suppose I'll continue using these forums for a bit, but I'll see if I can get one set up on my domain.

TL;DR MiniD is now called Croc, it's now hosted at github, and it might be ported to C/C++.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> MiniD All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: