FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to load max available version

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nrgyzer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:31 am    Post subject: How to load max available version Reply with quote

Hey there,

how can I load the max available version of OGL? My current code looks like:

Code:
DerelictGL.load();
DerelictSDL.load();

SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO);
SDL_SetVideoMode(800, 600, 0, SDL_OPENGL);

GLVersion ver = DerelictGL.loadModernVersions(GLVersion.HighestSupported);
writeln(ver);

DerelictGL.unload();
DerelictSDL.unload();

When I start my app, it always says "derelict.util.exception.DerelictException@derelict\util\exception.d(43): Required GL version OpenGL Version 4.0 is not available."

How can I load the latest available version of OGL? OpenGL Extensions Viewer says that the latest available version on my system is 3.1, why does it try to load OGL 4.0?

... Thanks
aldacron

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you pass GLVersion.HighestSupported to loadModernVersions, then what you are saying is that your application absolutely requires that version and the method should throw an exception if it is not available. On the other hand, if you pass GLVersion.GL30, it will load version 3.0 and whatever higher versions are available, only throwing an exception if 3.0 is unavailable. Actually, I see I need to modify the source to make that the default value so that it can be called with no args.

Additionally, you ought to call loadClassicVersions, otherwise older functions won't be available. This won't cause loadModernVersions to fail if you don't call it, but your program will crash when you try to call something like glClear.

Code:

DerelictGL.load();
DerelictSDL.load();

SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO);
SDL_SetVideoMode(800, 600, 0, SDL_OPENGL);

// Require the maximum classic version be loaded (GLVersion.GL21
// or GLVersion.MaxClassic)
DerelictGL.loadClassicVersions(GLVersion.MaxClassic);

// Require at least GLVersion.GL30 -- if you have higher, it will
// be loaded as well.
GLVersion ver = DerelictGL.loadModernVersions(GLVersion.GL30);
writeln(ver);

See dgl.d in Derelict2's root directory. It's a little test module I use when I update DerelictGL to make sure it loads properly.
Nrgyzer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to load at least OGL 1.5... so I tried to load it by using loadModernVersions:

Code:
GLVersion ver = DerelictGL.loadModernVersions(GLVersion.GL15);
writeln(ver)

This prints 11 (OGL 1.1) is loaded... but when I use

Code:
GLVersion ver = DerelictGL.loadClassicVersions(GLVersion.GL15);
writeln(ver)

it prints 21 (OGL 2.1) which seems to be the latest available version on my computer (GLViewer says 3.1), but okay... 2.1 is enought. But why does loadModernVersion() do not load at least OGL 2.1 and loadClassicVersions load it?
aldacron

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nrgyzer wrote:
I need to load at least OGL 1.5... so I tried to load it by using loadModernVersions:

Code:
GLVersion ver = DerelictGL.loadModernVersions(GLVersion.GL15);
writeln(ver)

This prints 11 (OGL 1.1) is loaded... but when I use

Code:
GLVersion ver = DerelictGL.loadClassicVersions(GLVersion.GL15);
writeln(ver)

it prints 21 (OGL 2.1) which seems to be the latest available version on my computer (GLViewer says 3.1), but okay... 2.1 is enought. But why does loadModernVersion() do not load at least OGL 2.1 and loadClassicVersions load it?

You're misunderstanding what the different methods do. loadClassicVersions loads versions 1.1 to 2.1. It does not load anything higher, no matter what your graphics card supports. loadModernVersions loads 3.0 and higher. It does not load anything below 3.0. So if you require version 1.5, then you should do this:

Code:

DerelictGL.loadClassicVersions(GLVersion.GL15);

This means that if anything between 1.1 and 1.5 fails to load, an exception will be thrown. However, anything above 1.5 that the driver supports up to 2.1 will be loaded as well with no exceptions on failure. For OpenGL 1.5, you do not need to call loadModernVersions at all.

So if you need support for <= 2.1, you call loadClassicVersions. If you need support for >= 3.0, you call loadClassicVersins and loadModernVersions.
Nrgyzer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, okay... I really misunderstood you Very Happy - thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Derelict All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: