FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

D Newbies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
exquisitus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject: D Newbies Reply with quote

I am a newbie to D. Actually, I am hoping to be a newbie. I have not written my first line of D code yet. But I am sure I can because I have adequate C/C++ skills.

But, I have been reading quite a bit about D since reading about it on OsNews.com yesterday (2004/04/19). The more I read, the more I liked D. So, I decided to come here and signed up. I am in the process of writing my own OS. Yes, I am an OS hobbyist. The first question I have is, can D be called from C/Asm? I heard and read that D can use C API by linking against it. That is nice and dandy, but how will I make the jump from Asm/C to D if I wanted to write my OS in Asm & D?

Because of questions like that and possibly more as I try to make D useful. I decided to start this newbie topic.

Thanks all and D does look promising. I love Asm/C/C++, and to see a language that looks like C/C++ but cleans it up like Java, it is great. I really like some of the things I have been reading about D. One thing I didn't like about Java was that it forced you to be OO. D took the best of C, C++, Java, and I heard C#. I don't know anything of C#.

I look forward to participating.

.v
jcc7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: D As An OS Reply with quote

Welcome to D.

exquisitus wrote:
I am in the process of writing my own OS. Yes, I am an OS hobbyist. The first question I have is, can D be called from C/Asm? I heard and read that D can use C API by linking against it. That is nice and dandy, but how will I make the jump from Asm/C to D if I wanted to write my OS in Asm & D?
If I understand you correctly, you want to write an OS kernel in D. (If you want to write the kernel in C/Asm and then call D, the following info might not be helpful.)

Two or three people have already discussed writing a kernel in D on the official newsgroup. Their discussions were mostly over my head, but I can direct you to some of the threads:

Dernel the D Kernel
Dernel: _moduleCtor not working correct?
Dernel: D & interrupt handling
Dernel: dynamic arrays
Dernel: Inline Assembler question
Dernel: how does exception handling work?
Dernel: pointer arithmetic question
Dernel: Protected mode far pointers in D?
Dernel: Using D's GC as kernel memory manager?

OS development with D (Just found)
OS development in D starter kit (Just found)

I'm pretty sure the dernel threads grew off of an earlier thread, but these are the threads that I found right away.

Last edited by jcc7 on Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Wienczny

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To write an OS kernel in D is on my todo list, too. What kind of kernel do you want to write? Microkernel? Something like L4Ka::Pistachio microkernel?
exquisitus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: uKernewl Reply with quote

Wienczny wrote:
To write an OS kernel in D is on my todo list, too. What kind of kernel do you want to write? Microkernel? Something like L4Ka::Pistachio microkernel?

I am shooting for a message based micro-kernel. I don't know anything about writing an OS. I am an embedded programming and my major was EE. but i love programming. I know enought of the intel x86 to do get into protected mode and i have some idea of the theory. ihave written boot loaders and kernels which don't do much more than print some info about the system (not really a kernel as it doesn't do anything useful). but in theory, i can extend it. i was just playing around with ideas and i would like to do a bit more planning before i start to write again. i want to have some direction instead of just playing around.

originally, i wanted to use C++. when using C/C++ for kernel development, it is clear how to call the C code and what you needed to support C++ (new/delete) and some other things to run the global and constructors. i then decided to stick with C and wait until i was further along to mess with C++. I heard that D links to C, but i don't know much yet to call D from C.

i would like to know that kind of things for D. i really think D with its clarity, can be a really nice language for kernel dev.
l8night

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started ....
http://www.geocities.com/one_mad_alien/dkernel.html
it boots, and talks to the keyboard and vga screen.
however that was before walters reorganisation of phobos, and I did have to hack the gc a little (but it does have GC).
its flat memory, never bothered to enable paging, no threading etc
but a start. only compiles under linux dmd NEEDS dmd 0.74 (needs gcc + objdump) I am thinking of trying to compile gdc under mingw (used this originally for the C and C++ versions of the kernel [c++ worked [ish] had hassles getting RTTI and exceptions working so gave up])

if there is an interest in continuing (I only did it to prove something could be started) then I may try to get it compiling under 0.86, running under bochs and make it a project here (then all we need is a few graphics drivers and port the swt) [I have the FDC code in my C++ version working and some IDE code somewhere too fat32fs should not be a major challenge]
exquisitus

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

l8night wrote:
I started ....
http://www.geocities.com/one_mad_alien/dkernel.html
it boots, and talks to the keyboard and vga screen.
however that was before walters reorganisation of phobos, and I did have to hack the gc a little (but it does have GC).

This is great. I went to your page and see you have two versions. i will study both and see if i can't make some changes. some of the things i will try to do are:
- work in bochs (that is what i use for playing around)
- grub (then u don't have to worry about making your own 3-stage boot loader)

Thanks for posting what you have done.
l8night

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grub support was one thing I though about ... but I had fasm code for a boot load and Grub support ment I had to read lots of other ppls docs!
also the original plan (many moons ago) was to have a CD booting OS basically to turn your PC into a games console, or for dedicated servers.

best of luck getting it running Smile post your progress here or email/msg me if you get stuck.
jcc7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: D Kernel Reply with quote

There's a new post on dm.D related to this topic.

From digitalmars.D:6448:
Quote:
Hi Everyone,
Earlier this year I started writing an operating system using D. It uses a microkernel design, and is targeted at x86 PCs. I had lots of great plans for the operating system, but I never got them even close to being realized. At the moment, I've stopped working on it with no plans to continue, so I decided to release what source code I had already made.

It basically has just 4 parts that are finished/working:
1) An interface to be loaded by a multiboot compatible boot loader
2) A text driver
3) A memory manager which uses paging and can keep track of 4GB of memory. (simple reservation system, kmalloc, etc.)
4) A tool for automatically creating a bochs hard drive image after each compile, which allows for very fast testing.

Anyhow, if you're interested, you can download it here:
http://members.shaw.ca/bradenm_k/misc/picos2004a.tar.gz

I don't claim to be a great programmer, and this was my first operating system. Nonetheless, I feel it may be helpful to someone.

P.S. The last compiler I used for this was either DMD 0.92 or 0.93 - perhaps you might get some new compiler errors/warning due to deprecated features. Also, the Makefiles are all set up for Linux. It would be a lot of work to get this to compile on Windows.
jcc7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From dkernel / looking for "one mad alien":
Quote:
Couldn't reach One Mad Alien by email, thus I am posting this on the list Smile

The dkernel (http://www.geocities.com/one_mad_alien/dkernel.html) now
compiles with the current dmd and incorporates some new phobos functions.

The current version can be found at:
http://dmd.kuehne.cn/dkernel-2004-07-19.tar.bz2

Thomas

Update

I created a wiki page for D Kernel info:
http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?KernelWithD
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: