FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Project Proposal: WarBots

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Project Proposal: WarBots Reply with quote

To make a long story short, and for a little history (warcoders.sf.net)
Warcoders was a game me and my friends tried to start a while ago and ended up meeting the dinosaurs after some trouble.

My proposal is to write a 2D robot battle game where you program the robots in (DScript?) and have them battle each other. It will be kinda like a starcraft where you can program the AI of the robots. The first release I'm already working on with some simple goals, and I would be happy for some webspace ( so i don't have to use claytek's and if my computer blows up again I won't lose any hard work )
Thanks for considering...

Read below for the 'why not claytek 3d' rant . . .
Ok. Ok. So everyone knows I started the project Claytek 3D. Well. . . as being my first '3d' project and all, and never getting a game done before 'outch', .. I'm deciding to step back a bit and try to write a 2D tile game. I will work on ClayTek based on whatever I can whenever I can, but the project has gotten to a point where. . . I just can't work on it because I don't know what to do or how to do it!!! honest, i will not try and start any more projects until one or the other is done

Last edited by clayasaurus on Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:35 am; edited 2 times in total
misterpib

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds badass...looking forward to using D to kick some robot ass...

My suggestion would be to have the AI be programmed in D and compile them as shared libs (dll or .a) and then loaded into the game at startup.

Either that, or since D stuff compiles so quickly, just write a script, or program or whatever that generates a battle file, and compile in the bots you want to battle against eachother each time Razz

D compiles so quickly, it'd be fast enough...

either that or someone needs to write a D interpreter... Razz
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement Very Happy
Yes, I might start out just programming their AI in D, and if need presses I might use a scripting language, I think DScript would do the job, but I havn't yet played around with it.

For now I'm just making the map editor.
JJR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that you can't do shared libraries in D on Linux yet, unless you engineer some special loadable module format of your own for the game. DMDScript might be the way to go for the AI programming at first.

Either way, sounds fun! I wish you success. Smile

- John R.
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you : )
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> ArcLib All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: