FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

D2 Tutorials

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrej08

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: D2 Tutorials Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm not sure if anyone is even visiting these forums anymore, but I'll post here anyway.

I want to add D2 examples by copying the D1 examples and modifying them accordingly (and maybe add a few D2-specific examples as well). I was thinking of making subpages within the wiki, which is briefly explained here: http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/SubWiki. Then I would change the tutorial sections to list both D1 and D2 links to the tutorials. For example, this page:

http://www.dsource.org/projects/tutorials/wiki/TutorialFundamentals

Would turn into:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9218759/fundamentals.txt

Paste this in the Sandbox to see how it looks like.

So D1 would link to one subpage, and D2 to another.

Would this be an ok approach?
jcc7

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: D2 Tutorials Reply with quote

Andrej08 wrote:
I'm not sure if anyone is even visiting these forums anymore, but I'll post here anyway.
I try to check in from time to time, but I don't post many messages these days.

I think what you've suggested is a fine idea. Back when I was actively adding tutorial content (several years ago), I had no idea that eventually D2 would arrive and introduce so many breaking changes.

D had always been in flux causing the examples to get stale, but many of the changes before D2 were backward compatible anyway. I didn't know that eventually there would be a D1 dialect and a D2 dialect.

Since I suspect that most of the D1 code being written these days is targeting Tango, I don't know how useful the D1 (and pre-D1) examples are now, but I hate to just throw them away since I know that some people still want to remain with D1. I'm still a little bit on the fence myself. (I'm reading through my copy of Andrei's book, but I haven't done much D2 programming yet.)

I think what you're suggesting is a good compromise with adding D2 examples, but not tossing the D1 examples.
Andrej08

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: D2 Tutorials Reply with quote

jcc7 wrote:

I think what you're suggesting is a good compromise with adding D2 examples, but not tossing the D1 examples.

I think a lot of the D1 examples could still work with only a few minor changes. Most examples are pretty small anyhow. And this is a community site, so if I mess up something hopefully someone will notice and do corrections.

I'll start converting some of these examples in the next few days.
Andrej08

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice and easy. I got 5 fixed for now. I'll continue the next day..
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Tutorials All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: