FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mango on Darwin

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Mango on Darwin Reply with quote

This is the thread for resolving Darwin related issues. I'd like to suggest starting with a list of the known issues, and perhaps some ideas of what the cause might be, or possibly how to fix them.

Arrow Anders has run into some odd linking errors, regarding missing symbols (with "thunk" names). It'd be good to get a better understanding of the circumstances under which that occurs.

Arrow there is apparently a Mango patch file for Darwin, which should be blended into SVN. Would someone post the patch file please? Or send it to me at somecretin aaaatttt yahoo?

Arrow There will need to be some work around the ICU bindings, since there's some O/S specific idioms going on there.
afb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: darwin patch Reply with quote

Patch file (emailed) has a function loader implementation,
and workarounds for most of the Posix = linux assumptions.
kris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: darwin patch Reply with quote

afb wrote:
Patch file (emailed) has a function loader implementation,
and workarounds for most of the Posix = linux assumptions.

Awsome! Thanks, Anders.

Can you provide your thoughts on the "thunk" issue? And is the ~60 second compile-time primarily the librarian or the compiler?
afb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure, I will try again with Mango 1.1 and GDC 0.11
just to make sure it wasn't just a bug from DMD 0.110...
afb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: darwin patch Reply with quote

kris wrote:
And is the ~60 second compile-time primarily the librarian or the compiler?
The time is spent in dmd (i.e. in GDC)
kris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The patch file has added another import where it should not be necessary. This appears to indicate a bug within GDC, where public imports from one module are not being exposed correctly within an enclosing module. That is:

Code:
module C;

public const int XX = 1;

Code:
module B;

public import C;

Code:
module A;

private import B;

const int YY = XX;

The above is nothing more than an speculative illustration of such an issue, which would presumeably be manifested with an error about XX not being defined within module A. One would thus have to re-import module C, from within module A (which appears to be what the Darwin patch is doing).

Note that the D spec calls for the propogation of public imports, up the enclosure chain.
kris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very big "thank you" to Anders, for providing the Darwin patches. The changes are all checked into SVN, and will be included in release 1.2 of the zipfiles.

Note that Anders also provided a Darwin-style shared-lib loader (for the ICU wrappers). Check it out ... that's a decidedly non-trivial thing to do on Darwin Shocked
JJR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah! That OS X dynamic loader is bizarro! That's more work than I had envisioned.

Great work, Anders! I'm glad you figured out how to do it!

I'm still considering getting a mini-mac (with 512 MB upgrade). I may get a chance to give the mac version a test run.

- John R.
kris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that Apple have a little mini-Mac, do you think they might start talking in terms of a "Big Mac"? And then, how about a "SuperSize Mac"?

Shocked

Those mini-Macs are uber sweet though. I'd like to get a five-pack-stack to run a clustered web-server. Has anyone seen reports of noise and heat emissions yet?

Oh, and Bob Cringely has an interesting notion about how Apple could use the Mac-mini as a loss leader, to become the #1 computer manufacturer. That would sure make the stock sing! And it would really piss off MS, Intel, and Dell (the unholy trinity).
JJR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kris wrote:
Now that Apple have a little mini-Mac, do you think they might start talking in terms of a "Big Mac"? And then, how about a "SuperSize Mac"?

Shocked

He he... yeah it looks like what's in the average American diet could start showing up in the computer field. I'm sure Apple wouldn't mind if they became as succussful as the McD company.

Quote:
Those mini-Macs are uber sweet though. I'd like to get a five-pack-stack to run a clustered web-server. Has anyone seen reports of noise and heat emissions yet?

Now that's an idea! Shocked

Here's an article by Anandtech... it gives their take on the little fella, including noise level. I'd say it's a fair review. Part of the investment is definitely in the Mac OS X software that's included.

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2328

Quote:
Oh, and Bob Cringely has an interesting notion about how Apple could use the Mac-mini as a loss leader, to become the #1 computer manufacturer. That would sure make the stock sing! And it would really piss off MS, Intel, and Dell (the unholy trinity).

I wouldn't be too surprised. They /could/ be fairly successful on this one. But perhaps that's too much of a fantasy. I guess we'll see.

Later,

John R.
afb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kris wrote:
Note that Anders also provided a Darwin-style shared-lib loader (for the ICU wrappers). Check it out ... that's a decidedly non-trivial thing to do on Darwin Shocked

There's a wrapper library for dlopen and friends available, called "dlcompat".
I just wanted the native version, which was a lot more work as it turned out.
(mostly because dlcompat is not pre-installed on Jaguar and earlier versions)

http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1180.html
http://www.opendarwin.org/projects/dlcompat/
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Mango All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: