FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

D Development Tools

View previous topic :: View next topic  
debio

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: D Development Tools Reply with quote

Okay, this is kind of a postmortem analysis, so feel free to criticize me as long as it's constructive.
I'm a high school student, and within the last week, I completed and presented my final project for my computer science course. I wrote a working DHCP server with a few bells and whistles. It could have been better, but that didn't happen.
I was writing it in D until the last week, when I finally got fed up, took an all-nighter to convert it to Java, debugged it, added a GUI, and finished the project two days after (I had the backend pretty much working in D, and I was about to start working on the GUI when I switched to Java). I would have loved to finish the project in D, but I hit two walls.
Firstly, I'm spoiled by Eclipse. Now that I've said that, is D IDE support really as bad as it seems? I'm running Linux, and the only IDE I could find was the Descent plugin for Eclipse. While that project has made a good bit of progress, it can't successfully parse many templates, and it gives all sorts of strange errors once it hits one that it can't parse. Is there another IDE for Linux? Is there something more mature? As I said, Descent is making progress, but it isn't there yet. As I said though, I'm spoiled by Eclipse, and if nothing on that level is available for D, so be it.
Also, Java debugging is nearly painless (once again, I'm probably spoiled by Eclipse), and I can't seem to find an equivalent for D, especially on Linux. There's GDB, which didn't compile once I patched it (I'll take another look at that today), and... what? I don't remember seeing anything else that runs on Linux. There was ddbg for Windows, but that couldn't give the last (and most important) entry in the stack trace. Oh, and when did stack trace support get into Tango? Do I need to switch to trunk to get it?
Oh, and I should note that the switch wasn't entirely caused by D. I was behind schedule, and the due date got bumped up a week, so I needed to work very very quickly, and I just didn't feel that I had the tools to do that in D.

This might come off as a flame, and chances are good that I am, in fact, an idiot that can't read, so what are people using to develop D applications? I can't imagine something like Titanion being developed on the platform I've been trying to use. I love programming in D, but so far I haven't found a good way to do it.

Last edited by debio on Wed May 27, 2009 1:09 am; edited 2 times in total
csauls

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as an IDE goes.... I don't even use one. Just Kate and a command line. ^_^
debio

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that reminds me. How's the Vim support for D? I know it has syntax highlighting, but does it have autocompletion? Wait, that's called Omnicompletion in Vim, isn't it?
And just so I know what to expect, what does Vim do for you when you're programming? I'm learning the text editing features right now; I haven't gotten to the programming. Is it just omnicompletion and syntax highlighting, or does it do something along the lines of syntax checking?
michaelp

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you know, topics like this won't get much exposure here. If you want more replies, you'd be better off posting this at the newgroups.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: