FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ares updates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sean

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I may try that.

Another update is up. This one doesn't really contain anything new, but I feel a bit more confident about the thread/gc code (there's no risk of memory allocations during a gc run). This code is temporary until I can find some resolution to the opApply issue--I spent the last few days trying to make sense of it, and finally just posted something to the bug forum hoping that someone else could explain what's going on. I'm going to run the broken code through a debugger a bit and see if the assembly code offers any insight. Once that's sorted, I'm going to drop in posix.d and work on the Linux code, but I want to have the Windows code solid before I start duplicating it. So things are moving more slowly than I'd hoped, but I like to feel good about each piece before moving on to the next one, and this gc stuff is driving me crazy Smile.
sean

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to drop a quick note and say that I'm still here, just incredibly busy. I'll probably get back on Ares next week.
sean

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated Ares to include DMD 110 changes.
kris

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sean;

How are things going?
sean

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn busy. I just moved to a new project at work and have a bunch going on during my free time as well. Once I get a personal project finished up (hopefully in the next few weeks) I'm going to be a bit more active on the D forums again. In the meantime, It's all I can do to get out the occasional Ares DMD compatibility update.
JJR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean,

Thanks for what you've accomplished already. From the way it looks, Ares is already showing signs of promise.

Keep up the good work (as you can find time) and feel free to post requests for help on this forum when you need it... eg. more header to D module conversions, etc. Although, whether such requests will be answered is debatable. Kris has made such requests in his Mango forum; the only answer to his plea has been a confounding silence. Wink

Don't humans just love to take and give little in return?

Later,

John R.
sean

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help you've given so far Smile

I just put up a DMD .113 synch update. Walter added copyright headers to some of the source files (which I've imported) and there were a few low-level changes to GC and other code. Worth noting is that now, a new function std.Thread.thread_init() is called by the GC on startup, thus eliminating a rather nasty initialization problem.

FWIW, I personally like Ares (no features and all) better than Phobos, so I'm likely to continue working on it whether it has any impact on the greater D world or not. Hopefully the licensing will remain open enough that Ares can continue to incorporate Phobos changes. One of these days I'll finish the tech spec and forward it on to Walter. It would be nice if, at the very least, Phobos were split into three support libraries much like Ares is now.
kris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you happy with the Exception hierarchy, and those gating issues from tying in the 'intrinsic' stuff (such as AAs) ?

- Kris
sean

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably never be completely happy with the compiler/library binding, but I'm pretty satisfied with how I've handled things in Ares so far. The system errors (ArrayBoundsError, AssertError, OutOfMemoryError, and SwitchError) do not derive from Exception, which forces the user to handle them explicitly. It might be nice to have Exception as a part of the std namespace, but that would create a nasty dependency, as the runtime code seems to rely on a byte-level knowledge of that particular class definition. A bit still needs to be done to expose some low-level stuff that Phobos has outside of std, but as most of that was compiler/platform-specific I wanted to put it off til later.

There are some interdependency issues I'm not entirely happy with. The language support library (the compiler runtime), for example, needs its own UTF conversion routines for foreach. Code duplication isn't a great solution, but the alternatives I've considered seem worse. Also, you could argue that Thread should live with the garbage collector, but that would raise issues for the rest of the standard threading routines. Dealing with the garbage collector in general is kind of nasty and I wish that particular dependency didn't exist. (Is that what you meant by "gating issues?") Perhaps I've been spoiled by the natural separation between C++ compilers and C++ standard libraries, but I wish we could achieve the same degree of separation here.

That said, I am fairly satisfied with what I've done to minimize and formalize the library interdependencies. So long as D doesn't have the same problems C/C++ has with object code layout (name mangling and the like), I think the few remaining interdependencies are acceptable, if perhaps not ideal.
kris

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update. I'll check it out over the weekend.
sean

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a new version up. This one incorporates DMD .118 changes, including a bunch of new TypeInfo classes.
Derek Parnell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
There's a new version up. This one incorporates DMD .118 changes, including a bunch of new TypeInfo classes.

Where can I get a copy of Ares?
jcc7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Parnell wrote:
Where can I get a copy of Ares?
There's a link to a .zip in the first post of this topic:
http://home.f4.ca/sean/d/ares.zip

(The changelog has been changed recently, so I think it's the latest release.)
sean

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the latest release. I'll try and remember to create some semblance of a webpage with these links on it. I'll post here when it's up.
sean

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another Ares release is up. This one incorporates changes from DMD .119 (notably two new typeinfo classes) and features a slightly cleaned-up dmdrt makefile. I've created a webpage with the links on it at:

http://www.home.f4.ca/sean/d/
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Ares All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: