FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mango.icu for Linux

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JJR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Mango.icu for Linux Reply with quote

Added: Linux support for mango.icu.

You will need to download the ICU shared libraries from http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu/download/3.0/index.html first to add the shared libraries to your system (look under binaries; pick the Redhat ones). Alternately you can compile your own from the ICU source; recompiling from source will be necessary if you are using a non-x86 Linux. I'll be including some instructions later on how to install these files properly on Linux.

Like the Win32 version, mango.icu uses the dynamic loader (runtime linking) to interface with the ICU function set. Thus, there is no need to link your programs to the icu libraries at link time.

The ease of porting to Linux can be attributed to Kris' handy FunctionLoader mechanism. Ports to other OSes (like Darwin) should also be possible using this mechanism.

Enjoy! Smile

Later,

John
kris

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hat's off to John!
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The version of ICU in Gentoo Portage is 2.8. Rather than emerge 2.8, I've opted to download 3.2 from IBM's site. Do you two have ideas on whether Mango would work on 2.8, or is there a minimum ICU version?
kris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brad wrote:
The version of ICU in Gentoo Portage is 2.8. Rather than emerge 2.8, I've opted to download 3.2 from IBM's site. Do you two have ideas on whether Mango would work on 2.8, or is there a minimum ICU version?

Hi Brad. There's a couple of things to consider here:

a) the names of the libraries. ICU typically injects the release number into the library name, and into the names of the public functions too (yes!). To work with another release, one should make appropriate changes to the names noted in mango.icu.ICU, in addition to the 'vrsn' text noted in the various bind() methods within that file (one bind() for each O/S variant).

b) ICU appears to be good about backward compatability. So you should be able to use v3.2 with the Mango wrappers, assuming you made the changes noted above. I wouldn't recommend using a version of ICU before 3.0, although this would likely work with many of the wrappers.

So, yeah. If you update mango.icu.ICU and recompile, it should work fine with version 3.2 ~ I will probably update Mango to the recent release anyway (to take advantage of the C Regex API that was previously missing).

- Kris
JJR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, what he said. Smile

If you give it a try, tell us how it works. Kris' reasons for why it should work seem sound. Like you, I noticed that Gentoo didn't include the most recent ICU shared libraries, so I just downloaded the libraries (RPM) directly from the IBM site and installed them in /usr/local/lib where they wouldn't mix in with the other system libraries. That way, it's pretty easy to install/uninstall them as necessary.

It also should be possible to make a modified local ebuild for ICU on Gentoo (the new portage system allows for a local private ebuild of packages now). Unfortunately, although I've used Gentoo for quite a long time, I don't have much know-how about how to create the ebuilds. I may look into this in the future.

Speaking of install, I haven't written the linux installation instructions that I said I would for Linux ICU. I'd better get to that! It's improtant to update /etc/ld.so.config with usr/local/lib and then to run ldconfig to update the system's dynamic loader cache.

- John R.
kris

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have any joy with ICU 3.2, Brad?
JJR

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little bonus: I notice now that Gentoo linux has included the ICU 3.2 ebuild in the portage tree. That should simplify things greatly.
kris

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I'll bring Mango up to ICU v3.2 tomorrow or Sunday, and wrap the relevant bindings with a version{} statement (ICU30 or ICU32)

- Kris
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No joy with ICU 3.2, so I commented it out. I was really just trying to play with servlets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Mango All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: