FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using minid objects from D?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhasenan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Using minid objects from D? Reply with quote

In a game, I want minid objects to represent various entities. The bulk of the code is in D, so I want to deal with these minid objects as D objects.

The first thing that came to mind is, just use inheritance. I'm uncertain if this just works. I know it would be somewhat tricky to implement, with final methods and so forth.

My next idea was, write a wrapper that forwards to a MDInstance. I tried writing this, but it's impossible. There's a function to insert an MDInstance* into a stack, but it's package-accessible. I'd need to create one MDThread per MDInstance.

Also, my minid objects need to receive events involving various other minid objects. I don't see any way to invoke a minid method from D that has parameters that are minid instances.

The documentation for the binding library isn't finished, and I didn't see anything relating specifically to this -- there's an example that constructs an object and uses it immediately, but that's the extent.

What do you recommend?
JarrettBillingsley

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Step 1: wrap D base class with minid.bind, wrapping the methods you want to be overridden.

Step 2: derive from that class in MiniD and override the methods you want.

Step 3: create an instance of the derived class.

Step 4: get the D instance with superGet!(BaseClass)(t, slot).

Yay!

As for methods which take MiniD classes as params? As long as those params are also classes which are or derive from wrapped D classes, it should work fine.
dhasenan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, that was as easy as I could have hoped, and in fact easier than I did hope. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> MiniD All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: