FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Licensing questions ...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kris

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:01 am    Post subject: Licensing questions ... Reply with quote

I'm in a quandary here, and could use some feedback:

It just came to my attention that certain folks are ripping parts of the Mango code and/or design (wholesale in certain cases) to produce their own versions of what Mango does in specific areas.

They say that imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, but I'm not sure this is case here.

For the 9 months I've been involved with D, I've seen people carve out their own little niche areas, or work on large, somewhat-overlapping projects (such as GUI) where the scope is just so vast that there's room to play. However, this is the first time I've seen anyone produce something (two things actually) that are not only ripped from the original D code, but are clearly intended to 'compete' against the ripped codebase.

In the past, it's been clear that some would have liked to adopt one or two of the Mango notions, yet did not do so. I put that down to "peer-respect", or "open-source ethics" (or whatever you'd like to call it) which helps to foster a feeling of community spirit. It certainly helped to avoid further splintering of effort ~ D needs that like a hole in the head.

Mango is open-source so that people are not afraid to use it, and can extend & modify it (and hopefully contribute back). I had hoped, perhaps naiively, that folks would make an effort to help shape Mango in alternate directions instead. It was certainly not intended that the efforts of those involved would be adopted in the manner noted.

What should one do here? Should the Mango license be adjusted to explicitly prohibit certain usage? What should be done with regard to the ripped code & design? If anything? Am I being unreasonably sensitive?

And, whatever happened to the "unwritten code of conduct" and developer ethics? If the community condones this kind of thing, then far fewer people will invest their time in producing anything of interest.

Appreciate your comments;
teqdruid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: License Reply with quote

I would just put a clause in the license that requires any changes to be released, and any derivatives to be open-source.
jcc7

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Licensing questions ... Reply with quote

I'm unclear on what has been happening, but it sounds disturbing.

kris wrote:
And, whatever happened to the "unwritten code of conduct" and developer ethics? If the community condones this kind of thing, then far fewer people will invest their time in producing anything of interest.
Did they violate the letter or the spirit of the license? I definitely wouldn't condone that.

Is it possible it's an honest mistake? If you haven't already, I think you should try to contact whomever you think has violated your trust and mention how you're disappointed with his/her actions. Perhaps an apology will be offered and proper behavior will ensue.

If the license is being respected (but you don't like the way your code is being treated) perhaps you should change it to a more "copyleft" license such as LGPL or GPL.
larsivi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked at two 'suspicious' cases where the inspiration is astoundingly obvious, without any sort of mention of Mango and/or Kris. I haven't studied the code in detail though, such that I can point to specific lines of code. This I believe Kris must do himself.

I neither condone of this practice, nor think it should be let gone uncommented. I also find it strange that someone wants to implement the same high quality classes found in Mango.
jcc7

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

larsivi wrote:
I've looked at two 'suspicious' cases where the inspiration is astoundingly obvious, without any sort of mention of Mango and/or Kris.
That's very disheartening. Sad
kris

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank-you for your input.

For the time-being it has become necessary to change the Mango license to something which displeases me in the extreme; it will be altered again if and when something concrete happens to protect the community in general.

BTW: this is primarily with reference to the hoisting of ideas/design/implementation of the object-serialization and the object-to-io-layer bindings (IReadable, IWritable, IPickle, PickleRegistry) present within Mango.io ~ those idioms don't exactly represent some wild and ground-shaking notion, but they should still be protected from parasitic trollers.

Last edited by kris on Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
jcc7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen the offending library, so please forgive me if I make faulty assumptions. (I presume that the alleged guilty party has a conscience and it's not available for download anymore.)

Quote:
Specifically, they may not be used simply to produce a 'competitive' library, or equivalent functionality: it is unfortunate that some feel such actions are ethical.
I doubt that a library that only sampled from Mango code would be competitive. I think it'd more likely be a cheap knock-off.

By the way, I don't see what's unethical about competition (unless a license prohibits it). If it's all-out thievery disguised as competition, that's an entirely different situation. But I'm too lazy to compete anyways if a good library already exists, so I find this whole situation baffling.

Let us know if you catch someone unapologetically violating your license, so we can give 'em the cold shoulder treatment together.
kris

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcc7 wrote:
I presume that the alleged guilty party has a conscience and it's not available for download anymore.
That remains to be seen.

jcc7 wrote:
By the way, I don't see what's unethical about competition (unless a license prohibits it). If it's all-out thievery disguised as competition, that's an entirely different situation. But I'm too lazy to compete anyways if a good library already exists, so I find this whole situation baffling.

This is not about competition. What I find unethical is someone trawling the Mango codebase for ideas, notions, designs, implementation, and then using that to construct a "derived work" to perform equivalent functionality; without the Mango license. Like you (and others), I find this whole thing totally baffling. Oh well.

jcc7 wrote:
Let us know if you catch someone unapologetically violating your license, so we can give 'em the cold shoulder treatment together.

Thanks; I'm afraid it apparently already happened. I'll probably hit the NG with this if there's no resolution forthcoming.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Mango All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: