FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Logging library

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kris

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Logging library Reply with quote

I'd like to submit Mango.log for consideration as a potential library candidate. It follows the popular Log4J interface specified here http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/documentation.html.

It includes Chainsaw interoperability (for remote monitoring), an html-based Administration Console (for remote, dynamic configuration of running applications), and has been used quite heavily since May 2004.
larsivi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definately think that a logging toolkit should be present. I only tried mango.log once, though, and then in a free function environment. That was a somewhat strange experience, I think maybe some thought must be put into it for such use (OO versus procedural yet again). As an OO-logging-toolkit, I think it might be 'perfect'.
kris

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lars Ivar;

Can you elaborate a little, on what you have in mind?
larsivi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kris wrote:

Ehm, a somewhat vague feeling only. As it was, I needed the loggin stuff to work before anything else was started. This meant that I had to create the Logger in a module constructor, something that I didn't need for the rest of the library. It's been a while now, but I think I had some hassle getting it to work. It _might_ have been something to do with imperfect module constructor handling in DMD, but I'm not sure. As it turned out that a global function writing to a file was good enough, I dropped trying to get it to work.

As you see, I lack any real argumentation here. It's just a feeling.
kris

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

larsivi wrote:
kris wrote:

Ehm, a somewhat vague feeling only. As it was, I needed the loggin stuff to work before anything else was started. This meant that I had to create the Logger in a module constructor, something that I didn't need for the rest of the library. It's been a while now, but I think I had some hassle getting it to work. It _might_ have been something to do with imperfect module constructor handling in DMD, but I'm not sure. As it turned out that a global function writing to a file was good enough, I dropped trying to get it to work.

As you see, I lack any real argumentation here. It's just a feeling.

In that scenario, you may well have run into something regarding the ordering of constructors. Walter has (thankfully) taken care of that issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Ares All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: