FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

copy on assignment

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maxlor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: copy on assignment Reply with quote

I'm just starting with D, trying to figure out how it works. I've run into this thing here, and have been unable to find a solution online. Maybe you guys can explain things to me?

Lets say I have a class like this:
Code:
class Human {
  this(uint age) { mAge = age; }

int age() { return mAge; }
  void age(int age) { mAge = age; }
}

Now, if I do this, joe will be a reference to peter, as if I had used the & operator in C++, ie, peter's age will be 30 as well at the end.
Code:
void main() {
  Human peter = new Human(25);
  Human joe = peter;
  joe.age = 30;
  printf("peter's age is ?i\n", peter.age);

return 0;
}

Is there an easy way to have D make a copy, other than having to put the necessary copying code into the class itself? A shallow copy would do.

Hm... while I'm at it, another, smaller question. This doesn't work, obviously:
Code:
Human* jack = new Human(20);

Is there a way to create an anonymous object and have its address stored in a pointer?
Hohums

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: copy on assignment Reply with quote

Maxlor wrote:
I'm just starting with D, trying to figure out how it works. I've run into this thing here, and have been unable to find a solution online. Maybe you guys can explain things to me?

Is there an easy way to have D make a copy, other than having to put the necessary copying code into the class itself? A shallow copy would do.

Use a struct instead (there are other ways but that is probably the simplest).

Maxlor wrote:

Hm... while I'm at it, another, smaller question. This doesn't work, obviously:
Code:

Is there a way to create an anonymous object and have its address stored in a pointer?

In D a class object is stored as its pointer. That is:

c++

D
Human jack = new Human(20);
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: