FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Win32 Dsc Issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JJR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Win32 Dsc Issues Reply with quote

Dsc Beta 3:

-- testHttpServer :

After <enter> pressed in console, outputs many lines of "Socket accept() failed"

System: Compaq Presario 1.4 Ghz Centrino and 256 MB ram with Windows XP Home Edition.

I will look at other unittests shortly.
JJR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Dsc Beta 3: testServletEngine() Reply with quote

Dsc Beta 3 continued:

-- testServletEngine :

After <enter> pressed, servlet iterates normally in console for about 11 seconds then suddenly ends with multiple lines of "Socket accept() failed" (much the same as the HttpServer output).
JJR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dsc Beta 3 continued:

-- testUri : works!

-- testFileSize : works!

-- testFilePath : works!

-- testFileList : works!

-- testFile1 : works!

-- testFile5 : works!

-- testToken1 : works!

-- testColumn : ----> not working unitl 0.83 release

-- testSocket : works!

-- testStdin : works!

-- testBuffer : works!

-- testToken3 : works!

-- testFileRegex : works!

-- testLineRegex : works!

-- testSocketRegex : works!

-- testRandomAccess : works!

-- testCompositeIO : works!

-- testDirectIO : works!

Now, I guess I may do some independent tests and try to stress things a little more Wink.
kris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Win32 Dsc Issues Reply with quote

JJR wrote:
Dsc Beta 3:

-- testHttpServer :

After <enter> pressed in console, outputs many lines of "Socket accept() failed"

System: Compaq Presario 1.4 Ghz Centrino and 256 MB ram with Windows XP Home Edition.

Just out of curiosity, which WinSock library are you using John? Is it the one packaged in the zip file, or something else? That's perhaps a dumb question, but I wonder why this stuff operates perfectly on Win2K?

For what it's worth, I'm using Win2K SP2 ... I thought for a minute you might be running into the artificial connection limit that MS stamps upon certain versions (yes, they do that), but then I should perhaps hit that also with Win2K (non server)?

Can I ask you to perhaps mess around with the other arguments for the HttpServer constructor? For example I wonder if changing the "backlog" settings would alter the WinXP behaviour?

Code:
        // create a (1 thread) server with 50 backlog requests
        HttpServer server = new HttpServer (provider, addr, 1, 50);

Thinking about this some more, I suspect you are perhaps hitting an artificial limit in WinXP HE. Similarly, there's probably some linux kernel setting that would take care of the same problem over there. This may seem like an innocuous little test-jig, but it truly stresses the hell out of the OS Socket layer ... (you are actually running a high-performance HTTP Server: one that doesn't work on anything but Win2K <g>).

I think I should seek expert advice from CM ...
JJR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arghh!

Embarassed
Embarassed

You seem to be right!

Seems I inadvertantly deleted the provided winsock library while doing cleanup/recompiles in the obj directory.

It was probably linking to some older version (I have the whole digitalmars c++ suite also installed). I'll try it out again!

Sorry!

John

Last edited by JJR on Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:29 am; edited 1 time in total
JJR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope.... Same errors.

I'll move on to experiment with your other suggestions when I'm off work tomorrow. I've heard about certain limitations to XP HE, but I didn't realize that they applied here. That's very annoying if you ask me! Such things shouldn't be regulated! ERrrrrrr.... got to count to 10....

Later,

John
kris

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(copied from the linux thread)

Thanks primarily to John, the Socket woes have been nailed down to a simple case of running out of available socket handles. I'm working on a combination of SO_LINGER and socket.shutdown to ensure such resources are harvested asap by the OS.

- Kris
kris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

testHttpServer() now runs on WinXP HE. I guess XP-HE was not expecting anyone to use 200,000 sockets in a rather short period of time Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Mango All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: