FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feature Request List...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Feature Request List... Reply with quote

I work by only implementing features I need for the time being into ArcLib.

Are there any features you need for 2D game programming that you would like to use with your current project?

Post them here! Surprised

====== List so Far =======

Networking extension - 0.5

GLSL 'post effects' (hdr, black+white, etc.) - 0.4

Vector Graphics - 0.4

Parallax scrolling - 0.4

GUI Editor - h3r3tic might write one for hybrid, let's wait and see

Sprite Editor - 0.4

Last edited by clayasaurus on Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:03 pm; edited 11 times in total
deadimp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An extension for pixel-perfect collisions would be nice!

Notes:
  • Could possibly be made to work with primitive shape collisions - a slow implementation would be to render a shape primitive on a canvas of an image's size, offset relative to the image (with clipping and obvious bounding taken into consideration).
  • Rotation isn't really needed, but mirroring would be good.

On top of that, if anyone else has some knowledge of / prior experience with platformers, an extension or at least an example with slopes, preferrably with pixel-perfect collision (at least setting up a shape on the tiles).

These are no small tasks, though...

Beginning D; Basic experience in PHP, C++, Java, C#, MySQL, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, VB
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

I do have some old per pixel collision code I could revive, and I'll put it on my list. However

1. How would you want it to be implemented? I think in my old code I had it integrated with the Sprite class.

2. Have you considered using polygons as an alternative? With polygons, you can approximate any shape, it will use less memory and will be faster, and you can also integrate it with the Blaze physics library, which will make it easier for implementing jumping, collision, and slope sliding. It may be a bit more realistic than what you are going for, however.
zzzzrrr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Collision Detection Reply with quote

clayasaurus wrote:
Have you considered using polygons as an alternative? With polygons, you can approximate any shape, it will use less memory and will be faster, and you can also integrate it with the Blaze physics library, which will make it easier for implementing jumping, collision, and slope sliding. It may be a bit more realistic than what you are going for, however.

If you're considering polygon collision detection look no further than Blaze. No need to reinvent the wheel.
Agon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

what about Shader support (GLSL)?
Or like SFML has post-effects; http://www.sfml-dev.org/tutorials/1.3/graphics-postfx.php
deadimp

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main thing I plan on using pixel-perfect collision for is collision with bullets - since it's a MegaMan X game.

As for the slopes, I guess I like the pixel-perfect collision solution for this because I don't want to have to manage extra resources - such as specialized collision masks for tiles. But that's just me being lazy, and I should probably fix that...

The main implementation detail I can think of is making sure that it works for subimages - I prefer to manage my animations in sprite sheets.

Going from that, does anyone happen to know of a simple sprite sheet manager? Maybe something similar to Game Maker's - though a. If not, it shouldn't be too hard (though won't be extremely easy) to write one using arclib.

Beginning D; Basic experience in PHP, C++, Java, C#, MySQL, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, VB
zzzzrrr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deadimp wrote:
The main thing I plan on using pixel-perfect collision for is collision with bullets - since it's a MegaMan X game.

Blaze has continuous collision detection!
deadimp

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for pixel-perfect collision because the bullets would be (in a sense) colliding with the sprite of the object - just as it happens in the other MegaMan X games. I would also probably need sprite - sprite collision when the character runs into enemies.

I do plan on using Blaze for the movement. I had always thought that I needed just simple bounding rectangles with pixel-perfect collision to make it, but I've realized that using the physics library would make it much easier!

However, I've run into a bug when running the demos. I've posted about this on the forum.

Nthalk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vector graphics?
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll keep an eye out for vector graphics codes. OpenVG seems promising.

Mason hybrid integration request - http://www.dsource.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4511
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

parallax scrolling
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minid bindings update http://svn.dsource.org/projects/minid/trunk/arc_wrap/ or maintain
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> ArcLib All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: