FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IO lib redesign (ehh)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JarrettBillingsley

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: IO lib redesign (ehh) Reply with quote

Quote:
The current design of the IO library does not mesh well at all with the underlying implementation. I've never actually got it all working quite right; something's always broken. Tango likes to allocate buffers for me where I don't want them and then IO is not synchronized because some data is sitting in some buffer somewhere. Ugh.

Besides, I never really liked the design of the IO lib in the first place. So there.

So what I'm thinking of instead is to have a very basic "file" object, like the Python file object, and then provide other objects that you can wrap around it as necessary. I mean, if you're going to be iterating over a file line-by-line, chances are you're not going to need to read arbitrary binary data, and vice versa. Doing it this way also makes it really easy to drop in other kinds of "files" as long as they conform to the (very small) interface requirements.

I feel like I'm just finding things to avoid working on the binding library at this point Wink

I've kind of changed my mind, at least a little bit. The current design does have some very nice benefits, and its overall structure does tend to be a good fit for Tango. I think some things will still be reorganized, though.
JarrettBillingsley

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The IO lib seems to be working nicely now Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> MiniD All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: