FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mango Beta 9.4 out in the wild

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kris

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Mango Beta 9.4 out in the wild Reply with quote

You'll find it in the usual place: http://svn.dsource.org/svn/projects/mango/downloads/

Changes are noted within the readme.txt file. Most of the time has been spent on a total overhaul of the Reader/Writer framework ~ it still works with the old IWriter/IReader interfaces, but let me know if you run into anything strange.

- Kris
JJR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear you are still active on this. Smile

I wasn't sure if you had disappeared or not...

- John
kris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJR wrote:

- John

Cheers John! I'm still in the country, but wishing my home would sell a bit faster Confused

I had hoped to upload some patches a couple of weeks back, but got bogged down in a complete rewrite of the IO front-end. It's funny: with an good OO language you sometimes try too hard to make everthing shine in those terms. After three alternate OO attempts, I finally settled on a decidedly old-school approach with an OO outer layer. Unfortunately, it took forever to "regress" ... hence the extended delay. The benefits are much better support for array IO, flexible & customizable control over array allocation, and good support for text transcoders. There's still some work to do with Tokenizers regarding the latter, but it's shaping up.

Have you tried it on linux lately?
Carlos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Kris. Two things I've found:
On Windows, obj/mango.rsp is missing.
On linux, mango.io.FileProxy doesn't compile. This is what I get:

Code:
mango/io/FileProxy.d(510): '=' does not give a boolean result
mango/io/FileProxy.d(515): undefined identifier fp
mango/io/FileProxy.d(515): cannot implicitly convert expression new FilePath (_adDup(*(#*(entry) + 11)[0..len],1)) of type FilePath to int
mango/io/FileProxy.d(520): undefined identifier fp
mango/io/FileProxy.d(520): cannot implicitly convert expression fp of type int to FilePath
mango/io/FileProxy.d(522): undefined identifier fp
mango/io/FileProxy.d(522): cannot implicitly convert expression fp of type int to FilePath
make: *** [libmango.a] Error 1
kris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FileProxy is fixed and checked in. I'll add an rsp file later today.

Thanks Carlos!
kris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Win32.make: added something to populate mango.rsp
Carlos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tested on linux yet, but win32.make still needs a change. You have this:
Code:
    dir *.obj /b > )mango.rsp

I don't know what the ")" is for, but I removed and it worked.
BTW, does it do anything special in WinXP? Because I couldn't delete it as 'del )mango.rsp' but as 'del ")mango.rsp"'.
kris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dash it all!

I must've inserted that ) when saving the file ... sorry. It shouldn't be there.
JJR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kris wrote:
JJR wrote:

- John

Cheers John! I'm still in the country, but wishing my home would sell a bit faster Confused

Great! I hope you succeed with your home eventually. Just be happy you didn't wreck your car like I did Sad. I crunched mine coming home from work today. A stupid deer decided to jump in front of me. My Newish car with brand new winter tires is now bent out of shape. Grrr!

kris wrote:
I had hoped to upload some patches a couple of weeks back, but got bogged down in a complete rewrite of the IO front-end. It's funny: with an good OO language you sometimes try too hard to make everthing shine in those terms. After three alternate OO attempts, I finally settled on a decidedly old-school approach with an OO outer layer. Unfortunately, it took forever to "regress" ... hence the extended delay. The benefits are much better support for array IO, flexible & customizable control over array allocation, and good support for text transcoders. There's still some work to do with Tokenizers regarding the latter, but it's shaping up.

Sounds like a lot of work, but I'm sure it was worth it.

kris wrote:

Have you tried it on linux lately?

Not yet. I'm going to be getting a new hard drive for my laptop soon (bigger/faster one). So once I've got Linux reinstalled on it there, I'll give it a shot again. I was getting tired of how slow the default laptop drive was in my Compaq (I mean 4200 rpm? I know it's lower power, but man does it bottleneck the system).

Have a good one, Kris.

- John
Carlos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kris wrote:
FileProxy is fixed and checked in.

linux worked fine.
kris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJR wrote:
Just be happy you didn't wreck your car like I did Sad. I crunched mine coming home from work today. A stupid deer decided to jump in front of me. My Newish car with brand new winter tires is now bent out of shape. Grrr!

Oh man! Did you at least have your paramedic kit with ya ... for the deer?

That sucks. Hope you are OK?
kris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlos wrote:
kris wrote:
FileProxy is fixed and checked in.

linux worked fine.

Good! And thank you.
JJR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: OT: Deer Incident Reply with quote

kris wrote:
JJR wrote:
Just be happy you didn't wreck your car like I did Sad. I crunched mine coming home from work today. A stupid deer decided to jump in front of me. My Newish car with brand new winter tires is now bent out of shape. Grrr!

Oh man! Did you at least have your paramedic kit with ya ... for the deer?

Deer was... um... very dead. Put it this way: I didn't notice it until it was right in front of me, so I hit it almost full speed which sent it up onto the hood, then into the window, and finally up over the car somewhere. I was feeling a little frustrated that my reactions weren't better, but I don't think it would have been much hope of braking in time no matter how I look at it. Unfortunately, deer accidents are far too common up here. It's only a matter of time until it happens to somebody. For me, it's been about 5 years since the last time I hit one so I guess my luck was running out.

kris wrote:
That sucks. Hope you are OK?

Amazingly, I hardly felt anything. Despite the significant damage to the car (poofy radiator steam everywhere, crunched hood, smashed window), I was pleased with how the Chrysler Intrepid handled the incident. The only pain I'm feeling is the supreme inconvenience of the situation. I'm lacking a car right now until the insurance sorts things out. But, hey, at least I'm alive and well. Smile

-John
kris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's good news. Although it's frustrating to be without transport.

I hope the deer, uhhhh, "disappeared" before anyone took too much interest? Nothing quite like a good Chateuneuf-du-Pape with a slow venison roast! Yum!
JJR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh... well, I think the venison, in its current state, would only be appropriate for the coyotes, as the RCMP on scene suggested. Whether they chow down with a little wine is yet to be determined Wink.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Mango All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: