FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Offer to help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyrill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Offer to help Reply with quote

Hi!

Because I want to start my own project in D, I searched for an D IDE. I haven't started my project yet, but I want to give something back for using the IDE and I would be glad to use something where I helped with.

I'm not aware of java programming but if I can help you in some other things it would be possible for me to start right away. If you say it might be more valuable having a java programmer, I start learning by doing. In programming itself I can offer some C/C++ experience.

Cheers!
asterite

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi cyrill!

It's great to hear you want to help us. There are a lot of things you can do.
- Use Descent and report wrong funcionality and maybe write small test cases for them, so they won't happen again. And maybe fix them (this involves debugging's the port of DMD's code).
- Finish the code that allows a client to rewrite an AST. That will be needed if we want to provide quick fixes and refactoring.
- Implement the search engine. It's partially started because of JDT's port.

Umm... The first one is kind of easy, you just have to use Descent. The other ones involve programming in Java.

I guess there are a lot of other things that can be done which don't involve programming at all. For example testing Descent with a lot of projects that already exist. Or even better: start a project from scratch and, as you develop it, report bugs you encounter. I wanted to do that but I don't have time...

Or maybe you can suggest something you want to help with.
cyrill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi asterite!

Sounds great that starting my own D project is helpful to you. So, the first thing to be done is to install eclipse and Descent on my Mac. I will write a small manual if its not straight forward.

The next thing will be working with Descent and experimenting with D. It might be helpful for others to have a german translation of messages and other things. If there is none I will provide one, because I'm a native german speaker.

Because I'm interested in programming techniques and learning other programming languages I will have a look at the sources from time to time and may be learning by doing java.... Wink

Other things will follow as time goes by!

Cheers!
asterite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great!

I'm right now in the middle of an optimization process. I'm trying to make Descent work as fast as possible when doing semantic analysis. I ask you that before trying out Descent in your project you wait a little until I release the next "nightly build", because that will be faster and errors should be reported for that version.

Thanks! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Descent All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: