FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Faking multiple inheritance

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhasenan

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Faking multiple inheritance Reply with quote

Hi,

I want to fake multiple inheritance in MiniD. Given that objects are open to addition after definition, this should be relatively easy, as long as I can iterate through the fields and methods of a given object:

Code:

function inherit(self, vararg)
{
    for (i: #vararg - 1 .. -1)
    {
        // Go in reverse order so that more important things clobber weaker
        // things.                                                             
        schlep(self, vararg[i])
    }
}

function schlep(self, add)
{
    foreach (name, field; add.metadata)
    {
        self.name = field;
    }
}

Is there a way of doing this in minid? I can do it with the MDClass / MDInstance stuff, though that won't be quite so elegant.
JarrettBillingsley

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using MiniD 1 or 2? The syntax you're using (like #vararg) says 2 but you're talking about classes and instances which are only in 1.

In either case, have a look at the fieldsOf and methodsOf functions in the base library. In MiniD 2 there is no methodsOf, and everything is accessible through fieldsOf.

Also, your for loop indices are off by one. Numeric for loops always treat the higher index as noninclusive and the lower as inclusive regardless of direction, so it'll just be "for(i: #vararg .. 0)".
dhasenan

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I grabbed the minid2 sources. Turns out I probably got the minid1 sources instead. Apparently they're sufficiently similar that most of what I've learned will still apply.

Thanks for your help. While most things are well documented, that adds up to a heap of documentation to wade through. I think I was expecting builtin stuff for reflection, but since there's a binding library, that makes a lot of sense.

This isn't explicitly mentioned in the docs, but I assume I can use the syntax "object.newField = value", where value can be a function or anything else, to add a method or field to an existing object, no?
JarrettBillingsley

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It actually is mentioned in the docs, here. Smile

I will recommend, however, using MiniD 2 since that's where a lot of nice new functionality is. The native API is also a bit better and will be getting a lot better over the next couple of months. Though if you're worried about writing code for it now only to have it become outdated, you might want to stick to MD1 then.

[ed] you might already have the MD2 sources, if you checked out the entire repo. It's in branches/v2.
dhasenan

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do intend to use minid2. I've had some trouble testing stuff since my current computer has 64-bit Linux, precluding dmd, and the gdc I installed from the repositories has major issues, so I haven't been able to compile and run anything lately. This means I can't actually try minid2.
dhasenan

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say that classes and instances are only in minid 1, but they appear all over minid.bind in the v2 branch! Razz

This of course makes it impossible to compile minid 2 at the moment, if I want to bind a class at least.
JarrettBillingsley

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minid.bind has not been updated to MD2. Don't use it. Surprised
dhasenan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. If I can't use minid.bind, there can only be one way to proceed: I'll be writing the entire game in MiniD.

You claimed, I believe, that MiniD is faster than Lua, at least in some samples? If that holds in general, you're getting something like a tenth the speed of D, at least ignoring the object oriented aspects. And that makes MiniD probably one of the fastest scripting languages around.

Not sure it'll be fast enough to support the AI stuff I want to implement for ten or fifteen thousand NPCs, though... Razz
JarrettBillingsley

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In certain areas, it's faster than Lua. In others, not so much Wink

I'm rewriting almost the entire interpreter for MiniD 2, though, after which minid.bind will be rewritten as well. All in all I expect the new implementation to be much faster. Lua speed? Not sure, but I can hope!
Ligustah

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhasenan wrote:
Hm. If I can't use minid.bind, there can only be one way to proceed: I'll be writing the entire game in MiniD.

Hi,
i recommend you to have a look at the minid/*lib.d files, where all the
standard API things are defined.
You'll see that you actually don't need minid.bind for exposing D functions
to MiniD, it's just more convenient.

Ligustah
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> MiniD All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: