FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WarCoders Resurrection - Hooking up to MiniD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: WarCoders Resurrection - Hooking up to MiniD Reply with quote

Hi Jarrett! I'm finally going to be developing my game, now. I was wondering if you could help me figure out a technical problem.

My game will be an RTS except I with user-programmable robots. I want the language of the robot AI code to be in minid scripts.

Ok, so here's my technical problem. First, I want each robot to be in it's own script such as 'miner.md' and 'tankbot.md'

Second, I want each robot to be able to access a list of variables given to them from the game engine, such as
- position of base
- position on map
- targets in view (friendly or not, type of target, and position)
- base transmission message

Then, I want each of these scripts to be able to call functions from the game engine in an ai_routine() minid function. Then I want my game engine to call the ai_routine() minid function for each robot.

Exmp:

miner.md

// called by game engine
void ai_routine()
{
// fire... call miner.fire(x,y) function located in miner class of game engine
fire(x,y);

// move... call miner.move(x,y) function located in miner class of game engine
move(x,y);

// stop... call pre-defined stop() function located in miner class of game engine
stop();
}

I know this is a difficult technical problem, but I just wanted to ask you for some starter tips to get me going.

Should I use minid 1.0 or 2.0 as well?
Any advice / starter tips appreciated. Thanks.
JarrettBillingsley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mention in the comments that those functions call methods of a class in the game engine. Is this class generated by the engine? Is ai_routine treated as a method that is added to the class? So ai_routine's 'this' parameter will be an instance of the miner class, and when you call those functions, you're really calling methods of 'this'?

Re MD1 vs. MD2: MD2 is, IMO, a better language, but the implementation is considerably less mature in some spots (though more mature than the MD1 in others..). Notably it doesn't have the binding library which may or may not be a problem for you. Furthermore I'm rewriting the MD2 implementation which will radically change the native API (probably), so if you're looking for something that's stable, MD2 might not be it. But once it's done, the new implementation should be much better than the current MD1 and MD2 implementations.
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like I should stick with MD1 then. Where do you keep your minid 1.0 branch?

Sorry about the confusion, let me try and re-state what I want to do.

Alright, so first I want the AI of my robots to be defined in a .md script file, which I imagine might look something like this...

Code:

---- miner.md -----

attack_rountine()
{
}

defend_routine()
{
}

// this will be called by the engine
ai_routine()
{
   // get list of targets from engine
   targets = getTargets();

// cycle through targets
   foreach(target...)
   {
      if (target.type == 'miner' and target.friendly == false)
        // call fire function from engine
        fire(target.pos.x, target.pos.y);
   }

// get state of main base from engine
   baseState = getBaseState();

switch(baseState)
   {
      case "attack":
        attackRoutine();
      break;

case "defend":
        defendRountine();
      break;
   }
}

Now, here is how I imagine I might want to go about hooking up minid to D code and vise-versa

Code:

class Miner
{
  this()
  {
     mdState = loadMD("miner.md");

// make functions from class callable from given minid script
     mdState.addGlobalFunction(&getTargets);
     mdState.addGlobalFunction(&fire);
     mdState.addGlobalFunction(&getBaseState);
  }

process()
  {
     // run function 'ai_routine' located in the minid script
     mdState.runFunction("ai_routine");
  }

getTargets()
  {
     return targetList;
  }

fire(x,y)
  {
     // game code here necessary for bot to fire
  }

getBaseState()
  {
     return base_state;
  }

String base_state;
  Target[] targetList;
}

This is the basis of what I want to do, call functions in the minid script from the game engine (D code), and to be able to call functions in the engine from the minid script.

I just wanted to get off on the right track by asking here first.
JarrettBillingsley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MiniD 1 is in /trunk. (MD2 is in /branches/v2)

That stuff looks legit and should be relatively simple to do with minid.bind. Instead of putting those functions in the global namespace, you should probably put them in the module's namespace. So when you load "miner.md", you can get the namespace of that module and add those functions to it.

One thing to keep in mind - the binding lib doesn't support packing or unpacking arrays of wrapped class types, meaning that targetList will have to be manually converted to a MiniD array (or just kept as a MiniD array in the first place).

If you need any example code, don't hesitate to ask Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> MiniD All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: