FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sdlsem.d Access Violation (win)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toaster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: sdlsem.d Access Violation (win) Reply with quote

I just came across D for the first time and right now i am browsing thru the documentation and playing with available stuff (like derelict).

I found that the sdlsem.d sample gives an Access Violation when executed without args:

C:\dmd\derelict-0.1>bin\sdlsem.exe
Usage: Error: Access Violation

C:\dmd\derelict-0.1>

It was easy to find the error (thanks to "Usage"):

Code:

int main(char[][] args)
{
   if(args.length < 2)
   {
      fprintf(stderr, "Usage: ?s init_value\n", args[0]);
      exit(1);
   }
[...]

This works fine (found by trial and error):

Code:

if(args.length < 2)
   {
      //fprintf(stderr, "Usage: ?s init_value\n", args[0]);
      fprintf(stderr, "Usage: ?s init_value\n", cast(char*) args[0]);
      exit(1);
   }

C:\dmd\derelict-0.1>bin\sdlsem.exe
Usage: C:\dmd\derelict-0.1\bin\sdlsem.exe init_value

C:\dmd\derelict-0.1>

However, I just "arrived" here so my question: is it a bug in sdlsem or in D?

I got the latest available dmd (dl'ed yesterday) and your ZIP from http://svn.dsource.org/svn/projects/derelict/downloads/derelict-0.1.zip

BTW: all the other tests run perfectly and sdlsem runs too (with at least 1 arg), and derelict is great. And D is great, yesterday i looked at it for the first time and I think I will use it. I hope D grows and derelict grows along.
aldacron

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: sdlsem.d Access Violation (win) Reply with quote

toaster wrote:

Code:

if(args.length < 2)
   {
      //fprintf(stderr, "Usage: ?s init_value\n", args[0]);
      fprintf(stderr, "Usage: ?s init_value\n", cast(char*) args[0]);
      exit(1);
   }

However, I just "arrived" here so my question: is it a bug in sdlsem or in D?

It's a bug in the code, not D. I'll have that fixed for the next release. It has to do with the fact that D strings are stored internally in Pascal style (length followed by the string). Casting to char * allows you to pass the string itself without the length. But it still doesn't zero-terminate it (unless things have changed in the last few versions). So it would be more appropriate to use toStringz(arg[0]) (which can also be written as arg[0].toStringz()) rather than casting to char*.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Quote:

I got the latest available dmd (dl'ed yesterday) and your ZIP from http://svn.dsource.org/svn/projects/derelict/downloads/derelict-0.1.zip

There have been several changes and additions to Derelict since 0.1 was released. I recommend that you checkout the latest trunk from SVN and use that instead. There have been a few bugfixes, SDL_image and SDL_audio have been added along with OpenAL, and the load functions have been renamed. I won't be changing the function names again, so if you use the current trunk you won't have to go back later and change your code. Furthermore, I won't be releasing 0.2 until I've completed the Python bindings and run everything through some tests. This is going to be a while yet as I've gotten my hands into too many pies for the time being.

Quote:

BTW: all the other tests run perfectly and sdlsem runs too (with at least 1 arg), and derelict is great. And D is great, yesterday i looked at it for the first time and I think I will use it. I hope D grows and derelict grows along.

Glad you're enjoying it. Welcome aboard!
toaster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your attention and the insight about chars - one can do subtile bugs in a new language. So now i know it's a bad thing to cast strings into char pointers. Im gonna get your newest packages too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Derelict All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: