FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Last Minute Logo Showdown with a Twist! (ends Nov 12th)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Last Minute Logo Showdown with a Twist! (ends Nov 12th) Reply with quote

Last minute logo showdown!

As you see, the logo choices have diminished a bit and the ones left in http://svn.dsource.org/projects/arclib/web/logos/ are the logos that are still standing.

The 2 most popular logo's so far are 3 with 3 votes and 14 with four votes.

I like both logo's, however, neither pop's out to me as a 'must have' logo, therefore...

Here is the twist!

I have sat down for an 2-3 hours simply to think about logo's and what logo design would make the 'killer logo.' Here is what I came up with. Anyone that successfully complete's this logo design will be the automatic winner, otherwise I will pick either 3 or 14.

Look at this scan: http://svn.dsource.org/projects/arclib/web/logos/masterdesign.jpg

It gives the recipe and exact design in order to guarentee a win in the logo contest with a new logo.

1. The logo must include an arc. The 'master design' includes 2 arc's connected in the middle containing the text.

2. The logo design must be evenly symmetrical, except for the text. I do not like a-symmetric logo's.

3. The colors used: Dark blue for the fore-text, light blue for the outline text

4. There must be an outline on the text, maybe one on the arc's as well.

5. Vector graphics format if possible, a HUGE bonus. Inkscape is a good vector graphics editor.

6. Text of the logo must be "arc.lib" , but you may capitalize / lowercase if you want to

7. Design closely matches design in the above .jpg file

I will also consider, if any logo's alter themselves to fit some of the above rule's, to give that logo an advantage over the other's, if all of the above is too much work.

Good luck, and may the best logo win! And thanks to all you fine folks for taking some time out of your day to make a logo!!

~ Clay

Last edited by clayasaurus on Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
CodexArcanum

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't claim to be much of an artist, but I tried to stick to your guidelines. Here is my (last minute) entry, as a thanks for the help you gave me setting arc.lib up in the first place.

The "Fancy" Version with gradiants:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65363580@N00/1810592700

The "Clean" Version:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65363580@N00/1809747765/

If you like them, I can send the .svg file through email or SVN if I can ever figure out how subversion works! I think I'm subconsciously copying an existing logo, because I know that looks really familiar. I think it's an old OpenGL logo. *shrug* whatever, I just followed the spec. Very Happy
Keyframe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first of all a little disclaimer - I am a professional artist by trade (2D and 3D) for last 10+ years, however I have put only an hour or so into this idea, which I like. That is - this is just an idea to see how you all react to it - if you like it, I would expand onto it.

Let me hear you.

Some notes:
- first, sorry for the image size, I wanted to show all the detail first
- Red idea is based on D Language theme set by Digital Mars (and DSource for that matter)
- Blue idea is based upon your wish
- I had an idea of a form of sticker (black outline one) which could be used on projects using arclib

Red:

Blue:
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the clean version of the second logo. In fact, if there are no new submissions between now and november 12th, you will be the winner. Thanks!

Razz

edit: Wow, a new logo submission between the time I wrote the above and posted it! /me considers
Keyframe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention, it's all vector - so it's scalable. However, I had an idea to paint shine to the logo - like I did here now in a few minutes over the sphere. That part is not scalable though.

clayasaurus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Keyframe for your submission! How did you come about this site? Welcome to the dsource community.

Your logo's are very professional. The logo of your's that I do like best is the blue one on the left hand side, without the box around them.

A very nice entry!

However, here are some comments:

1. I'd rather have the logo longer on the horizontal axis than the vertical axis

2. Can the text somehow be 'merged' into the logo?

3. Making the logo design closer to the master design will greatly increase your chances, although I see you did follow some of the guidelines.

Thank you Keyframe!
Keyframe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clayasaurus wrote:
Thank you Keyframe for your submission! How did you come about this site? Welcome to the dsource community.

dmedia site - I'm trying to learn D as I would like to make a small shmup. It's tough learning without documentation - as I'm spoiled by php's documentation Laughing

clayasaurus wrote:

However, here are some comments:

1. I'd rather have the logo longer on the horizontal axis than the vertical axis

2. Can the text somehow be 'merged' into the logo?

3. Making the logo design closer to the master design will greatly increase your chances, although I see you did follow some of the guidelines.

Thank you Keyframe!

as for 1. - I'll make it laid down then, however I'm not sure if I have a clear idea how to incorporate text to be readable and vignete.. I'll try something though. I also have another idea - I'll post tommorrow!
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get stuck anywhere, just ask on this forum. Unfortunately, writing documentation for a rapidly changing API is a losing battle, it'll stabilize someday and then the docs will get much better, but until then just ask here.
Keyframe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, as I've promissed here is new batch...

first rough new idea.. darker shade of blue, IMO is too corporate

and now for the meat!

- design 1 and design 2 is what I recommend based upon my professional experience
- I have also included version of the "orb" with highlight reflective, so you can see the difference
- design3 was me just being stupid Smile I do not recommend that one, since it looks amateurish Laughing
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my feedback:

Thank you for doing professional logo work for a 2D Game lib! It's really appreciated.

With that said, here's my feedback:

I actually like the corporate logo lack of ball in the center of the 'electrons', the shading style, and the border around the whole thing, which is weird because I didn't like the verticle style w/ the border.

The only thing missing from the corporate logo is a slightly better color scheme (that includes aqua somehow, light or dark Smile ) and the text '2D game library', and I think we may have a winner.

However, it won't be official until Mon November 12th, and people can still submit new logo's until then.

Even then, however, since I like the style of CodexArcanum's logo so much, it will be a very tough decision to make.
Keyframe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is new version.. just comment further untill we nail it on - that's how iterative design works Laughing

clayasaurus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That logo looks pretty good. The only thing I could think of would be to possibly remove/lighten the border on the circle and/or try some different color combo's. I'm not being specific here because it's not that big of a deal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> ArcLib All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: