FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Phobos Rising

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kris

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Phobos Rising Reply with quote

Hi Brad;

Can you please open a project for us to start discussing how to organize this project?

Thanks a lot! (I know you're much busier now than ever before ...)

Last edited by kris on Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total
jcc7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad will probably ask for the name of the project before he sets it up (though "Untitled project" does have a certain ring to it. Wink).

Since this isn't a post in the Deimos forum, I'm guessing you've given up on using that name. I don't think the diverse Deimos group would mind people posting in their forum and adding code to the repository. Really. They strike me as a friendly and welcoming bunch. But you've decided you want to start from scratch, and that's fine...

Anyways, I do like the name "Phoenix" that someone suggested. Old fans of the browser now known as Mozilla Firefox will probably recall that it was originally called Phoenix (until it was renamed to Firebird and then re-renamed to Firefox). Phoenix would probably be okay for us as long as we don't make a browser (Phoenix Technologies wasn't a fan of the Phoenix browser).
kris

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad is gonna' setup a forum called PhobosRising, just so we can start discussing things.

Some posts I saw (Sean & Matthew, I think) suggested starting afresh, and then culling code from the most appropriate places. Someone noted that it wouldn't be fair to dive into Deimos and start cutting it up! I agree; but let's not bother too much with that until there's at least there's a plan to look over?

Also, it's worth noting that I do not have some expectation of being involved ... if invited, that's a different matter. I'm just taking the ball out of that box which you unlocked Shocked

I sent you an email a little earlier. Sorry I didn't touch bases with ya before.
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All set on the new forum. I can do a space in the Forum Name, but when it comes to a Subversion repository, we'll go with PhobosRising or the latest brainstorm for a name.

BA
qbert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like pheonix as the name , 'from the ashes of phobos arises a new beast' Wink.

Id also like to help. Originally I thought the stdlib needed to be as light as possible, but ive totally reversed my position :S.

I think an xml parsing library would be invaluable, what do you guys think ? Theres lots out there, I was going to suggest XiMol ( http://ximol.sourceforge.net/ ) . What do you guys think ? Id like to contribute this ( ported to D ) , but Id like a nod saying 'yes we'll look it over for inclusion if you do it' .

Also what (where) are the coding standards ?

Thanks!
Charlie
kris

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qbert wrote:
I like pheonix as the name , 'from the ashes of phobos arises a new beast' Wink.

Id also like to help. Originally I thought the stdlib needed to be as light as possible, but ive totally reversed my position :S.

I think an xml parsing library would be invaluable, what do you guys think ? Theres lots out there, I was going to suggest XiMol ( http://ximol.sourceforge.net/ ) . What do you guys think ? Id like to contribute this ( ported to D ) , but Id like a nod saying 'yes we'll look it over for inclusion if you do it' .

Also what (where) are the coding standards ?

Thanks!
Charlie

All TBD at this point Charlie!

I'd like to see us get organized quickly, and then figure out some broad stokes in terms of guidlines, functionality and so on. Nothing is fixed in stone, and (I hope) there will always be decent flexibility Smile
Arcane Jill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to start porting the ICU C API to D this weekend. I reckon the basic strategy should be:

(1) port the C API (basically turn the .h header files into .d header files). That at least gets us the the functions. Should probably go in namespace <something>.c.icu;

(2) then make a D wrapper around that. Should probably go in namespace <something>.icu;

I noticed that the C download already contains DLLs, so using them might not be that hard.

Is this appropriate for Phoenix? Deimos? The ICU source code already exists, so all we need do is a port. Converting header files shouldn't require much Unicode knowledge, so it's something more than one person can work on.

Arcane Jill
jcc7

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane Jill wrote:
I plan to start porting the ICU C API to D this weekend. I reckon the basic strategy should be:

(1) port the C API (basically turn the .h header files into .d header files). That at least gets us the the functions. Should probably go in namespace <something>.c.icu;

(2) then make a D wrapper around that. Should probably go in namespace <something>.icu;

I noticed that the C download already contains DLLs, so using them might not be that hard.
Sounds great!

Arcane Jill wrote:
Is this appropriate for Phoenix? Deimos? The ICU source code already exists, so all we need do is a port. Converting header files shouldn't require much Unicode knowledge, so it's something more than one person can work on.

Arcane Jill
I don't know how soon you'll have the wrapper ready, but we're still sorting out the initial planning decisions for the new library (we haven't even picked a name yet though "Phoenix" does seem to be the leading candidate). We're trying to figure out things like "Who is charge here?" and "What are we doing?" Smile

The bottom line: it sounds like you should put it in Deimos first. Then, we'll look at it and discuss its inclusion into Phoenix (or whatever it's called).
sean

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane Jill wrote:

With D's claimed support of Unicode I would tend to think it's needed somewhere, but I imagine some discussion needs to take place regarding what belongs in the new lib and how plain big the lib should be. Worst case I would imagine that this is a good candidate for an etc or other supplemental lib. Any way you cut it, I think that an ICU wrapper would certainly not be a waste of time.
juanjo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Deimos, then (maybe) Phoenix Reply with quote

I like a lot the proposal of including anything (without discussion) into Deimos and let it mature there (while people test the module/s). Once the author feels confident about the module/s, it follows the Phoenix coding standarts, it correctly uses the Phoenix API, etc, it can be proposed for inclusion into Phoenix (on a mailing list, forum, etc) where it would need the aproval of one (of maybe two, or three as the community growns...) members of the "Phoenix comitee".

For this to work Deimos should be an image of Phoenix *plus* added (or updated) modules considered for inclusion; this way a developer can prepare the full transition to "oficial" Phoenix from Deimos (using the standart API, modules and the such).

Excuse me for my engRish (TM).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Ares All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: