FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Open Call for Suggestions: Project Direction and Features
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pragma

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: my 2c... Reply with quote

regan wrote:

in the above you can use the class as 'auto' so making it a class is perhaps the best approach. I think you could do other cool things with a class like storing a list of methods loaded from the library, perhaps with an AA?

It's funny you mention that. Take a look here: http://svn.dsource.org/svn/projects/dsp/trunk/misc/typeLibrary.d

Keep in mind that the Library base class in this case could be meshed with the LibraryCache type (same SVN directory) while keeping it pretty transparent to the user. This *could* have been done with free functions in D, but then I'd loose the ability to work with the callback lists (events) in the Library class.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I agree with many of you that going with one overall library type (classes vs functions) is very dependent on wether or not state is maintained as a free function setup is a degenerate case of a simple class. Overall, it really comes down to a matter of style and utilty, which is stacked squarely on top of that notion.

Quote:

I don't think choosing OO or non OO is the path to take but rather to choose the best approach per situation/module. If it can be done best as free functions, then do it that way, you can always add a additional class wrapper for those who want pure OO. The best of both worlds IMO.

I couldn't agree more. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Ares All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: