FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do we wish to form a "steering group" ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sean

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works for me.
kris

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pragma wrote:
Deja Augustine also lended some input over at the DNG.

http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?digitalmars.D/9806

I think that a nice idea might be to form a small "committee" of say 2-4
people, tops, who come up with a library interface standard: a specific
set of codified rules for anything to become a part of the standard
library. Have everything from package/module nomenclature to the
notation of classes, methods and members (CONSTANT, ThisIsAMethod,
thisIsAMember, STDThisIsAClass, thisisalocal, etc...).

Cool I agree wholeheartedly. This is why I suggest there should be a steering-group, who pull others in as necessary to help them formulate specific ideas and notions (before being tossed out for scrutiny). The Boost approach may very well work, but I suspect we need some kind of rudder to get the fundamental direction set.

By the way; people should note that Boost did not start as a loose collection. Rather, it started as a core of C++ Standards Committee Library Working Group veterens. Something to think about.

Another tuppence worth.
larsivi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the thoughts of Kris and Deja Augustine above. (Sorry for not being more elaborate, I'm short of time due to moving to a bigger house.)
larsivi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened? Where did the momentum go? Discussions on features and directions are going on in other threads, but how should the work be organized? Discussions are good, but we have no framework to place the ideas. Storing information like this in a forum don't make it easy to read.

Using the wiki seems to work for many such discussions, and could also work for us. Our problem is that the project wasn't initiated by one person, but rather many people that were discontented with Phobos. This leads to noone stepping forward and taking charge (at least not explicitly), something that the project needs.

A voting mechanism were all 'members' can vote on what to create or include is a good idea, but I think a 'government' is needed to implement the voting results, in addition to possibly set up the votes in the first place. Before a government, that is, steering group, starts, strict directions for their operation should be established, so that they won't be able to make a coup and ruin everything, neither be a brake on necessary evolution of the library (especially the fixing of bugs).

I will start a thread about the responsibilities for such a group, as I firmly believe we won't be able to make a powerful and great Phoenix without it.
jcc7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:56 am    Post subject: Wiki page Reply with quote

larsivi wrote:
What happened? Where did the momentum go?
I think there was less discussion over the weekend, but I think the momentum is still there.

larsivi wrote:
Discussions on features and directions are going on in other threads, but how should the work be organized? Discussions are good, but we have no framework to place the ideas. Storing information like this in a forum don't make it easy to read.

Using the wiki seems to work for many such discussions, and could also work for us. Our problem is that the project wasn't initiated by one person, but rather many people that were discontented with Phobos. This leads to noone stepping forward and taking charge (at least not explicitly), something that the project needs.
There's nothing stopping us from using a Wiki. In fact, I just started a page:

http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?PhobosRising

Everyone feel free to add material and refine and refactor what I put on there. Put stuff on there that was mentioned or inspired by newsgroup and forum posts that you don't want to be lost as these initial threads drift to the bottom.
larsivi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Wiki page Reply with quote

jcc7 wrote:
I think there was less discussion over the weekend, but I think the momentum is still there.

That's possible, but I also think that this forum won't help much in the creation of Phobos until a steering group is present and functioning. Such forums are great for discussions on already going projects (with some form of steering, either single person or group), but not for starting up without any direction present. The reason is that the threads, once they start going over several pages, get unmaneuvrable. It becomes difficult, especially for newcomers, to get all the posts in one thread, and thus points, ideas and arguments come up again later in the same thread. This gets annoying and counterproductive when we are discussing more pressing stuff than which DVD any one recommend.

jcc7 wrote:
There's nothing stopping us from using a Wiki. In fact, I just started a page:

http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?PhobosRising

Everyone feel free to add material and refine and refactor what I put on there. Put stuff on there that was mentioned or inspired by newsgroup and forum posts that you don't want to be lost as these initial threads drift to the bottom.

This is all good, but I believe this page shows some of the same inherent problems as the ones I believe are present with the forum. Any discussions made on the wiki, will become as disorganized and hard to read as those in the forum, although the wiki can be used to 'organize' the threads of the forum. The discussion on the wiki can become better organized through a 'moderator', though.
larsivi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nomination process is now on, but we've yet to decide how the group should look. IMO, it should start out with 4 members, two selected for one year, two selected for two years. (Later elections will then elect two for two years each year. This will secure some continuation in case members quit after their term.) After the group is selected, they should select one of them as a leader with double vote. Thus a voting deadlock can be avoided. As the D community grow, it might be wise to increase the group to 6 or 8 members.

I also think Walter should have vetoing rights (if he has good arguments Smile.)

As for how the decision process should go, I think that when a new feature request or similar comes up, discussions are opened (in some kind of official way). After 3 weeks of discussions (both about the feature itself, and the alternatives to vote over), a vote should be presented. The vote should be open for 2 weeks, at which point the winning choice can be implemented/included by the DSLG. The DSLG should choose which features to vote over (here is their real power) and should also be able to make suggestions over which alternative they think is the best, and try to give advice on alternatives that might break compatibility, etc.

The voters should be identified members of the D community. (maybe the Boost way can come into play here?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Ares All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: