FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To guys.......

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuan Hsu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: To guys....... Reply with quote

Sorry to my poor english, I wish you can understand what I talk: Embarassed

About 18 months ago, I found D language and I tried to learn it, but those days I didn't find a good IDE( personally ) until poseidon. Poseidon is created by Shawn Liu and qbert( best regard ) and is a wonderful project, but sometimes I want to make it more convenient to use( for me ), so I mail to Shawn then started to commit the codes that I changed.

I want poseidon can become to a "good" even "great" IDE, but for my personal ability and some reasons, it looks like a more and more hard target.

I can't let this project stop to advance by one person( me ), so if everybody are interested in develop poseidon, please tell me! Very Happy

Of course, I'll continue to make this project better if I can......
KlausO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all don't complain about your english ! (In fact it is is much better than my chinese, which is - ehm - non existent Wink)

I appreciate your work on Poseidon and it has been my favorite IDE till one month ago. Since then I switched from Windows to Linux (Ubuntu Feisty) and the only thing I regret is that I couldn't get Poseidon to run under Wine. This leads to one of my questions: Whats the current state of the Linux port (of DWT) ?

To my knowledge there is currently no maintainer who is working on the GTK port of DWT which would make it possible to compile Poseidon for Linux. Keinfarbton has abandoned tioport due to maintenance and performance problems and favours tiolink, which means GUI code has to be written in Java.

IMHO, there are currently only two options:
1. bringing the GTK port of DWT up to date or
2. switch the GUI code of Poseidon to wxD

I'm not sure which approach would be better. wxD seems to have all widgets available which Poseidon is currently using. Using sizers in wxD for GUI layout is almost the same as using composites in SWT/DWT. wxD compiles under Windows and Linux (I tried the second with success).

Quote:
I want poseidon can become to a "good" even "great" IDE, but for my personal ability and some reasons, it looks like a more and more hard target.

I don't think Poseidon is the problem. The biggest problem seems to get updates/patches into DWT. Several people have made their own versions and none of this changes got into the official trunk. Are there any plans to improve this ?

Quote:
I can't let this project stop to advance by one person( me ), so if everybody are interested in develop poseidon, please tell me!

I would like to help but I'm realist enough to recognize that I don't have the time Sad. But maybe there are some smaller packages than bringing DWT/GTK to work.

BTW, maybe there is an alternative GUI library approaching. Although I think this takes time the D community had always been a source of surprise. See larsivis blog on http://larsivi.net/node/101

Quote:
We did also talk about what may be a course to get something great working in the GUI arena. We'll see what comes of that.
krcko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would like to help (i'm also new to D, i'm programming in just 3-4 months but i really like the language and from now on it's going to be my first choice when i need something to be coded easy and yet to be running very fast and very reliable) but, as KlausO i don't have very much time...

i also vote for wxD (i've never programmend anything in wxWidgets, but i'm kinda familiar with it) and for some add-in support (as i mentioned in one thread recently)

well... i can help, and i want help (i really like the Poseidon), but the my free time is very limited, so i cannot do commiting very often...

what the Poseidon needs now is a theam of 3-4 developers, and i want to be one of them (for start i would implement a plug-in system, which is a must), so... we just need few more developers!

@Kuan: don't worry about the english, it's most important that we all understand each other Smile (and, my native language is not english, so don't worry, be happy Very Happy)
Kuan Hsu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KlausO wrote:
(In fact it is is much better than my chinese, which is - ehm - non existent)

Very Happy

KlausO wrote:
I would like to help but I'm realist enough to recognize that I don't have the time.

It's alright, it's a one reason that I posted this topic......

For personal, I like DWT or DFL more than wxD, but both of them are windows only, wxWidgets seems to the good way to port poseidon, but I haven't any experience about wxWidgets and Linux, so I hope that anyone can do it.

Last edited by Kuan Hsu on Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Kuan Hsu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krcko wrote:

well... i can help, and i want help (i really like the Poseidon), but the my free time is very limited, so i cannot do commiting very often...

Thanks, I've added project developer for you!! Very Happy
KlausO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuan Hsu wrote:
For personal, I like DWT or DFL more than wxD, but both of them are windows only, wxWidgets seems to the good way to port poseidon, but I haven't any experience about wxWidgets and Linux, so I hope that anyone can do it.

Does that mean you will switch to wxD ? If yes, I may take care of smaller tasks and/or building and testing the linux port.

With wxWidgets (CPP) you have to take some care to not break cross-platform code. wxD adds another layer and I think the chance to create non-portable code is minimal.
Currently I'm really impressed what could be done with wxWidgets. I'm reading the book "wxPython in Action" and had a closer look at the wxLua project.
The wxLua team even implemented a full blown scintilla based editor with debugger in 90KiB of Lua code. This editor could load, run and debug it's own code !
Kuan Hsu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KlausO wrote:
Does that mean you will switch to wxD ?

No, maybe someone can do it...... Smile

For now, my main target is using my free time to make a old-school arcade shooting game, so maybe it will slow down the poseidon update......
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Poseidon All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: