FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Next Step

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JJR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: The Next Step Reply with quote

Just so you all know, my tentative plans are to update the svn trunk this weekend (I'm kind of busy throughout the week). For the next few days, I'll just let some of the fixes and testing accumulate in git.

okibi, if your next pre-release package contains most of these recent additions and fixes (updated dsss.conf as well), I may use it to apply the changes to svn this weekend.

One other item I notice is that all versions of gtkd STILL seem contain sporadic occurrences of import statements in classes. This is ugly and completely unnecessary. I'm not sure if this is a side-effect of the wrapper logic or not. Nonetheless, in the next release, I'm hoping we can make sure that all such occurrences are removed. Smile

I'm hoping that we can clean up the code a fair bit too over the next while... maybe follow Tango project's example in clean well-documented code. Smile

-JJR
okibi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJR, I intend to revise some of the code myself, as well as apply whatever is in the git repo on Friday and post a new pre-release. Pre7 should be available Friday afternoon, complete with both compd and dsss build scripts (sorry, I just love compd!).

Also, I'm sorry that the link to the gtkD-pre6.zip (as well as the old pre-releases) have been up and down lately. I've had issues with my router, but they should be fine now.
JJR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, okibi. I'll look forward to the pre-release, then.

compd is a bit of an enigma to me (other than that it's used in the shell scripts to build the library and examples): I confess that during the process of cleaning up gtkd I've been tempted to discontinue support for it (no, don't gasp! Smile ); but if you feel it's an important part of gtkd, I guess it should stay. I was starting to feel that it more properly belonged in its own project or within the leds project (since that seems to be the project it was designed for).

Is there any documentation on how to use it? I don't see anything other than the examples of its use in the shell scripts. Nor does it display a list of commands on the command-line when you run it with no arguments. That to me is a pretty serious shortcoming of any important tool. Would it be possible to document it? I think any tool that stays in gtkd needs to be thoroughly documented. If I missed the docs somewhere... oops, my mistake. Razz

Anyway, thanks for all your great work on gtkd.

-JJR
jcc7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJR wrote:
compd is a bit of an enigma to me (other than that it's used in the shell scripts to build the library and examples): I confess that during the process of cleaning up gtkd I've been tempted to discontinue support for it (no, don't gasp! Smile ); but if you feel it's an important part of gtkd, I guess it should stay. I was starting to feel that it more properly belonged in its own project or within the leds project (since that seems to be the project it was designed for).
Ant would have the definitive answer, but I'd guess that compd probably exists for the same reason that dig was built with the "digc" building tool: make isn't fun for D programmers, and our make alternatives (e.g. bud, DSSS/rebuild) weren't available yet when Ant started developing the project.

I think Ant started working on DUI (as GtkD was then known) in 2003. I think that Derek's Build utility (as bud was then know) has been available since February 2005. And Gregor's DSSS/rebuild tools are much newer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> gtkD All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: