FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

April 29 -- Selective imports, numeric for, double precision

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JarrettBillingsley

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: April 29 -- Selective imports, numeric for, double precision Reply with quote

Added/Removed
  • Added array.pop(), to make it easier to use arrays as stacks, or just to remove an arbitrary element from an array.
  • Added "selective" imports. They basically make using symbols from other modules a little easier (rather than having to explicitly define local variables and fill them with values from the other module, selective imports do it for you).
  • Made it possible to have multiple comma-separated initializers and increments in for loops.
  • Added numeric for loops. These are quicker to type and quicker to execute for common integer iteration.
  • Added a StringBuffer class to the baselib for building up strings efficiently.
  • Added a baselib function rawToString() to convert a value to a string skipping the toString metamethod.
  • Added a format character, %r, to the baselib format function, which will format the raw string representation of the value (i.e. like using rawToString). This is also allowed in the unformat function, but it means the same thing as %s.
  • Added .writeChars() and .readChars() to the io.Stream class, for writing and reading plain sequences of UTF-8 characters.

Changed
  • The float type is now double precision. I was tired of MiniD falling on its face when it came to numerical code. It now passes the partialsums benchmark (and in the recursive benchmark, Fib(38.0) is now correct).
  • MDCL now reports the exception traceback when an error occurs.

Fixed
  • Fixed a crash in the compiler when there was no increment in a for loop.
  • Breaks and continues didn't do anything in foreach loops. *slaps forehead*
  • Fixed error message in the baselib format function for unsupported formatting characters (I was actually causing a format error in the process of reporting the format error, lol).

So I'm thinking of instituting a feature freeze after this update or so, in anticipation of 1.0. The next thing I'll work on is the binding library, as well as other API improvements, so if there are any other features anyone has ideas for, suggest away!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> MiniD All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: