FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Arc Website Plans

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Arc Website Plans Reply with quote

I'm thinking of potentially setting up a real website just for arclib.

Eventually it would be nice to get something on par with

libsdl.org or

ogre3d.org

but it will probably have to start out on a smaller scale. I already have been given permission for a nice server that I could probably use for ~2-3 years.

The purpose of the website would be to:

1) Make this project seem more professional / credible

2) Host ArcLib ...
.....A) Releases
.....B) Documentation
.....C) Tutorials
.....D) Games Database(either give their own sub domain or just their own page)
.....E) Wiki
.....F) Forums

3) Potential source of income w/ google ads + cafepress + donation system

4) Maybe in the future set up single trac project

I figure I'd need to figure a way to split any sort of income among developers.

Also, to encourage people to write 2D games in ArcLib, I'm wondering if it would be possible to allow the game creator to get income based on the amount of money they get from ads from people solely visiting their page.

Technology behind the site would probably be
- Ruby on Rails?
- PHP
- MySQL
- HTML
ChristianK

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really think it's worth it?

Realize that dsource provides a lot of functionality (svn, forum, trac) you'd have to set up and maintain on your own if we moved away. These things always take up more time than expected and I'd rather work on arc than maintain a website.

What are the things that we can't have on dsource?
- credibility / professionality: I don't think so. Anyone familiar with D will know dsource and we're in good company here.
- games database: we're not that big yet, but once it seems sensible, I'll be all for it
- ad income: is this really a concern? I'd rather stay ad-free.

All in all I think our time'd be better spent improving documentation, examples and, of course, arc itself.

However, if you're in the mood for designing a arc-themed website; go ahead! When it's done, we could make it our library-user front page and specialize the wiki front page for development info.
Lutger

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could do what Yage does: a seperate fancy website but still have the forums and use the repository from dsource.

This way you can have a more promotional site with ads and perhaps host games there and forums for games / whatever, but all the gory development stuff at dsource.
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not thinking of abandoning dsource... well if I were that would probably be a 2-3 year or longer process.

The website would start out simply as a place where users can browse tutorials/docs/get releases of arc / see all the games created with arc / see major strides in development news. Forums + Trac + Wiki + SVN would still be left to dsource, at first.

I also want to hone my web prog skills a little bit for future employers.

If D starts to gain more traction and arc starts to get more users, I'd imagine that someday little arclib will move out of its dsource shell and into a bigger one.

While I do not really like ads, I'm interested in testing out their revenue possibilities. Adwords are not /that/ annoying. Plus with a cafepress or something I can buy my own arclib mug + tshirt Razz

If I could pay people even a buck a month for simply writing a game in arclib (bribe people for using arclib? Wink ), and I can repay back the cost of the domain name and have a better excuse to work more on arc to tell my loved ones, .. then I'm all for it. Probably donate a little to dsource as well.

From inside the community I agree that dsource is a great place to be. But from outside the community, having a real website says something about the level of seriousness of a project to potential employers and potential game writers / developers.

I don't think a website will really take too much out of my time. I'm thinking of this as an experiment and seeing potentially how successful it can / can not be.
Lutger

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is an excellent idea. Ads are fine in my book as long as they are not flasy / annoying (I don't visit some websites anymore because of this ... )

If / when arc takes off and more games for it will be made, a centralized place where people can show off their games made with arc to gain exposure should be good.
ChristianK

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I also want to hone my web prog skills a little bit

Sounds like a plan. I'm looking forward to what you'll come up with.
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to be starting it until Arc v.2 is released, and you'll probably hear nothing of it until the end of this summer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> ArcLib All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: