FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poll: Should Arc switch from Phobos to Tango?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Arc switch from Phobos to Tango?
Yes
65%
 65%  [ 15 ]
No
21%
 21%  [ 5 ]
I'm happy either way
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 23

clayasaurus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Poll: Should Arc switch from Phobos to Tango? Reply with quote

I figure I'll be democratic about it... should arc switch to tango? I plan to support one or the other, but not both.

Code:

Phobos:
 - Pro's
  - Default D library, no hassle
  - Developed by Walter

- Con's
  - Not community driven / designed

Tango:
 - Pro's
  - Community driven / designed
  - Probably better designed than phobos, more object oriented design

- Con's
  - Not the default standard lib, user has to install it
  - Some might find tango style annoying such as
    import CapsLockModule;
    the output stream
    and other tango-isms.

Let discussion ensue.

Last edited by clayasaurus on Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Lutger

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have to start using Tango full-time, but it seems like a sane choice as Arc gets more complex.

I think a major benefit of Tango is that it has a lot more to offer which Arc could leverage. Obviously this will reduce development time, give access to high quality code and provide a way of doings things people will be familiar with (if they use Tango of course). Specifically I'm thinking about these kinds of things which may be useful for Arc:

- Serialization
- Virtual File System: not yet in Tango but stated on the website as a wanted feature
- Networking: I'm not experienced with this subject, but it seems to me that Tango has a lot to offer wrt networking.
- Collections
- Threading
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of tossing ideas around between going 100% tango or using phobos as the lower common denominator of functionality and allowing tango users access with tangobos (allows both tango + phobos users to use arc). While tango seems very nice, at this point in time supporting only tango might alienate people from even touching arc.

Serialization - hrm... we could just improve our own a little bit
VFS - if tango had this, this would be a feature that would probably make arc 100% tango : )
Collections - We kind of have our own, but I suppose tango's will eventually be higher quality
Threading - not sure
Networking - the dnet project might handle this for us
Lutger

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, Tango is even still considered to be beta. Although I voted 'yes' in the poll, I'm not sure it is a good idea for arc to switch over to Tango for the 2.0 release just yet.

My opinion is mainly motivated with an eye towards the future. I don't think it is realistic that Phobos will expand / improve a lot in the next two years, while Tango is really taking of with a lot of motivated and skilled individuals contributing to it. Tango is where future of D will be at I believe, and eventually Arc will benefit from being there too. Of course, this is just speculation on my part over the long-term, but while it is not yet the current situation, I think in one or two years Arc will alienate a lot of users if it does not switch to Tango.
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's v0.2 release, it keeps the project more humble. With Arc, v1.0 will really mean 1.0, and will probably be a few more years before it ever gets there.

I wouldn't be surprised if Arc v.3 was 100% tango, ... I think DSSS may be the excuse needed for Arc to be 100% tango if there is a really simple way to install it. Version v.3 will either be done by this summer end (unlikely) or next summer, and by that time it may be feasible to go 100% tango.

I'm a flip-floppin' fool Cool I don't think I'll really know where I am until I get there.
Linker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my five cents...

I think that there should be only one standard library. This means we programmers can be quite sure our program libraries and chunks of code remain interoperable.

I think that Tango is well-designed, exploits the power of D and has a 'nice' philosophy (it gives you 'barefoot' functionality to get you going fast Smile), while Phobos is well... Quite good, Smile but conservative. (I'm not trying to start a holy war, really).

I'm tired of supporting both libraries; I'm doing this since Tango came to existance. I have the same question to ask myself: to switch to Tango or not to switch to Tango. Smile I see more and more people are adopting Tango, so why not do the same?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> ArcLib All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: