FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lets clean up forum from dead projects!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rohan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Lets clean up forum from dead projects! Reply with quote

I think we must clean up forum from dead project! The are many very unactive project!
barrett9h

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: but keep them Reply with quote

I agree, but it would be nice to still keep them separated on an "inactive projects" area, instead of just deleting them.
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the plan:

1. Test the new Trac Forums plugin (thanks Pragma) with Tango and its devs, work out the kinks.

2. Convert all current forums/topics/posts into the Trac Forums plugin, so this would locate all forums for a given project inside its Trac instance.

3. Remove the site-wide Forums tab. Potentially replace it with a site-wide Timeline and/or RSS feed of project activity.

4. Add project statistics, filtering, and sorting on the Projects page, so one can use different criteria to determine how active a project is or is not, according to one's own preferences.

5. Give the ability to save the prefs in #4 as 'views' for one's Projects page.

There has been signifcant progress made against #1, #2, and moderate progress against #4. I'd love to get all of this squared away before the end of the first quarter.

BA
pragma

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brad wrote:
Here is the plan:

1. Test the new Trac Forums plugin (thanks Pragma) with Tango and its devs, work out the kinks.

2. Convert all current forums/topics/posts into the Trac Forums plugin, so this would locate all forums for a given project inside its Trac instance.

3. Remove the site-wide Forums tab. Potentially replace it with a site-wide Timeline and/or RSS feed of project activity.

4. Add project statistics, filtering, and sorting on the Projects page, so one can use different criteria to determine how active a project is or is not, according to one's own preferences.

5. Give the ability to save the prefs in #4 as 'views' for one's Projects page.

There has been signifcant progress made against #1, #2, and moderate progress against #4. I'd love to get all of this squared away before the end of the first quarter.

BA

I've got your back Brad. I've given #3 some serious consideration along the way, as it's some needed functionality that PHPBB currently provides.

Option A:
So far I've made sure that references to multiple projects in the tracforums plugin is done in a way that will help support this. At a minimum, it means that with the addition of a (yet to be coded) plugin on the dsource project, site-wide forum activity and information will be available. Sadly, this leaves out the full timeline data, which is generated from within each project. AFAIK, there is no good way of doing that from a direct-to-database solution.

Option B:
Have the server aggregate the RSS feeds from all the projects, caching the results as needed, and displayed on a webpage or a new RSS feed. Yes this is ugly, processor intensive and requires a cron. But at least it doesn't have to be coded in PHP, so it could be done in D instead (which could lighten the server's load somewhat).

#5 is a new one to me. Care to give us a rundown of what you have in mind? Smile
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pragma wrote:
I've got your back Brad. I've given #3 some serious consideration along the way, as it's some needed functionality that PHPBB currently provides.

Option A:
So far I've made sure that references to multiple projects in the tracforums plugin is done in a way that will help support this. At a minimum, it means that with the addition of a (yet to be coded) plugin on the dsource project, site-wide forum activity and information will be available. Sadly, this leaves out the full timeline data, which is generated from within each project. AFAIK, there is no good way of doing that from a direct-to-database solution.

Option B:
Have the server aggregate the RSS feeds from all the projects, caching the results as needed, and displayed on a webpage or a new RSS feed. Yes this is ugly, processor intensive and requires a cron. But at least it doesn't have to be coded in PHP, so it could be done in D instead (which could lighten the server's load somewhat).

I don't see another way, other than cache (Option B). However, the default Trac plugins could be modified to write to this cache when they perform a cache-able event. I'm not sure, but the TracForge plugin may do this thru subscriptions, it may not. This might be a better option than a 'build-cache' cron job. Although, to resync cache every once in a while, the build-cache script would need to exist.

pragma wrote:
#5 is a new one to me. Care to give us a rundown of what you have in mind? Smile

Saved project views, something like: only show me projects that are Beta - 4 status, or above, that are system libs, with an activity index above 60 and at least 4 SVN commits in the past 2 months.

BA
dan.lewis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: cron/rss feeds Reply with quote

One of my websites currently uses a form-mail page that users can post comments on, and a separate one for the contact page...

The comment one generates and/or inserts RSS on the server from php. You could theoretically also use PHP to execute do much the same, using php to execute a D program through the shell.

Thankfully RSS is really easy to play with (insert after <items>, remove <item>.*?</item> before </items>) to keep a new-on-top remove-old feed. To keep it at, say, 15 items, you simply count the instances of <item>.

^^ I hope the &lt; and &gt; show up. :p

Also, generating 'activity' counters and weighting is easy, you can do it at the same time as you generate the feed...

I don't know how to do it with phpBB though. That one's a bloated behemoth. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: