FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GLD, native D replacement for GLFW

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bradley Smith

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: GLD, native D replacement for GLFW Reply with quote

GLD is a native D port of GLFW. It works on Windows and Linux, but has only been minimally tested using the example programs included.

By default, GLD directly links to OpenGL libraries. However, on Windows, it can optionally use the Derelict bindings for OpenGL. In the future, Derelict compatiblity may also be available on Linux.

GLD can be downloaded from http://www.baysmith.com/d/gld.zip

Since GLD is a direct port of GLFW, no documentation is provided. Instead, use the GLFW documentation. Simply subsitute gld for glfw and GLD for GLFW where necessary.
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to start up a dsource project? or are you leaving this for others to develop more.
Bradley Smith

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made a request for a dsource.org project.
elmindreda

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for making a port of GLFW to the D language. That's very cool, and it's always nice to see people make use of the code.

However, by removing the copyright and license headers from the source files originating from GLFW, you have violated its license. Please correct this.
Bradley Smith

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the GLFW license,
Quote:
3. This notice may not be removed or altered from any source distribution.

This requirement is not violated. The GLFW license is included Credits section of the GLD readme.txt file. The GLD readme.txt will be included in every source distribution.
elmindreda

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bradley Smith wrote:
This requirement is not violated. The GLFW license is included Credits section of the GLD readme.txt file. The GLD readme.txt will be included in every source distribution.

Then we're interpreting the licence differently. The way I see it, you have removed the license from each source file. Additionally, there is currently no way of determining from your distribution which files originated in GLFW and which are created by you, except by dowloading GLFW and comparing file contents.
elmindreda

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elmindreda wrote:
The way I see it, you have removed the license from each source file.

Err, removed the notice.
JJR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is unfortunate. After reading the notice again, it could indeed be interpreted either way. It's sad that the license wasn't clear on this. Furthermore, the menton of "source distribution" makes the intent even more unclear such that I understand why Bradley felt he was meeting the requirements . It would have been very simple to indicate "source headers" here if that was the intent.

Gld, in its current form, however does make it extremely easy to grab certain source files and repackage it without any way to trace where it came from. Even a small header might be adviseable, as a courtesy, pointing to the origin of the package and crediting the original glfw. Granted anyone could remove that, but that would require more concerted effort.

Note that DerelictGLFW removed the license because it was not redistributing a source distribution: it merely used a header mapping. I believe any complete port has to follow different rules in this matter.

That said, I think it would be a good idea to figure out a way to identify source files with a small header that gives the appropriate credit. It would be good if it makes a reference to readme.txt in the package ("for further reference").

Just a suggestion.

-JJR
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you simply have a comment like...

/// see readme.txt for license details

in each header file?
aldacron

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elmindreda wrote:
elmindreda wrote:
The way I see it, you have removed the license from each source file.

Err, removed the notice.

I agree with Bradley on this. The header in each source file is a copy-paste of the text in license.txt. I interpret "source distribution" as the complete package, of all of the source files, from which the modified work was derived. To me, that's a clear and literal phrase with no ambiguity: source distribution != source file. As long as license.txt is included, requirement number 3 is met.

Of course, the way to settle the matter is to contact Marcus directly and determine his interpretation.
JJR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the decision is up to elmindreda now since Marcus gave the project up.

The fault appears to remain the result of imprecise wording of the license. Adding credits to the source headers might be a nice touch but that likely doesn't accomplish much from the maintainer's perpective, if the license is the issue?

-JJR
elmindreda

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJR wrote:
I believe the decision is up to elmindreda now since Marcus gave the project up.

Yes, and the license is the standard zlib/libpng one, not something Marcus wrote.

JJR wrote:
The fault appears to remain the result of imprecise wording of the license. Adding credits to the source headers might be a nice touch but that likely doesn't accomplish much from the maintainer's perpective, if the license is the issue?

Agreed. Keeping the edit credits is absolutely not required by any interpretation of the license, although I'm of course neither the creator nor by far the only contributor to the library, so I'm sad to see them go.

However, regardless of where the license is written, I foresee a problem in that there's currently no way of telling which files are under whose copyright.

In any case, I'm not out to make a nuisanse of myself, and I applaud the work that Bradley Smith has done. However, I do know that obfuscating the origins of code on a file level is a Bad Thing, as many projects have discovered. It's a simple thing to remedy and will potentially save the GLD project a lot of trouble further on.

As for whose intepretation of the license is correct, IANAL, but it might be possible to ask the SFLC about that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Derelict All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: