FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2d voxels?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: 2d voxels? Reply with quote

I was thinking about polygon outline tracing and I thought... what if I created a system where each pixel is kept track of, so Worms (per pixel destruction) or real time per pixel lighting could take place?

This would make rendering and collisions take longer but would mean total creative freedom to do whatever you want with them, like wiggle, explode, disintegrate, lighting, remove pixels from one object and stick them to another, awesome particle effects (dust, dirt, tornado), color 'dying', etc.

Just an idea.

~ Clay
Logwad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a cool idea. But then, I've loved voxels ever since CnC's: Red Alert 2. :)

Such a system would allow one to be able to make easily destructible terrain, units ect, and allow for many effects not normally available.

I would definatly consider this idea, unless it becomes apparent that it would really take too much cpu time on too many computers.

You know you want to.
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I think about it, hrm... most of these effects can be easily 'faked.' I'm really not sure it would be worth the trouble...
Logwad

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, I must have gotten confused somewhere. I was thinking actual voxels (a 3d version of pixels) which is an alternitive to polygons.

But since this is a 2d graphics library, and pixels are already 2d, it does seem redundant.

In a 3d enviroment is where they get cool. Medical training programs actually use voxels, because it's easy to make a slice of a frozen body, take a picture, and put many such pictures together. Then students can "cut" and do other things to see where body parts really are\look like. Polygons make this sort of thing very(impossible?) hard.

You know you want to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> ArcLib All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: