FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Road to Arc v.2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: The Road to Arc v.2 Reply with quote

Here are planned features for version .2 of Arc. Special thanks to JoeCoder for giving me some ideas and source.

Underlined features means that they are complete. Italic features means they are under construction.

Features to do for Arc v.2. (Try to get it done over the summer)

1) Give sprite circle, box, and polygon collision options (1)
2) Finish GUI + GUI Editor (6)
3) Replace Sound System with OpenAL and add pitch change option (2)
4) Create 'logger' module for debugging purposes (3)
5) Add PhysFS support (4)
6) Resource request manager (5)
7) Rewrite tutorials and host them here on dsource (7)
8) Make sure asteroids and pong downloads work (8)

Arc v.3 Features...

* Have a 'fastCollisionCheck' algorithm, using JoeCoder's radix sort

* Ambient lighting, perhaps? I'd like to figure out some sort of 2D lighting model sometime.

* Learn Berkely sockets and write own network library for Arc using HawkNL as an X-Platform wrapper.

* We need a scripting language, help out with the MiniD project

* algorithm for determining the outline of a polygon frame

Last edited by clayasaurus on Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:00 pm; edited 49 times in total
JoeCoder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the curious, this is what he's referring to.

Yage (Yet Another...) is a cross-platform open source game engine I've been working on since about last September. I plan to eventually make a website for it and probably use dsource for forums and svn, but I like to have the meat and potoatoes somewhat cooked before I put them on display. The code needs some refactoring done and many of the comments need to be updated, but I'm happy with the general organization of things so far. So maybe I'll go public with it in a few months or so. Until then, anyone can use the source for whatever you need it for.

BTW, Walter has provided a nice page in the D documentation (link) about using Free Lists (#3) for fast allocations / deallocations. I merely implemented it.

And finally, I haven't looked at the Arc source yet, but the best way to handle your collision problem (#6) is to create an invisible collision rectangle that faces the direction of any object's velocity, and is the length that the object will move in one frame; and check for collisions inside of it (point inside a polygon algorithm, I suppose). But you may realize this already.
Phr00t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay -- I'm still using the SVN repository for my FreeUniverse game. Where is this polyframe.d file that you keep trying to import? Did you forget to add it to the repository? I keep having to comment that import out to do compiles...
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the zipfiles for the stable releases, as the SVN will break things.
Lutger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, i wanted to mention in case you didn't know that phobos has std.perf for timing, it's quite nice and a better alternative for the sdl timer. It's not in the doc's, I don't know why.
Phr00t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay -- in Arc v.2, will there be a simple integer index used to draw images? e.g., currently you can just pass an integer to the drawImage function to draw a specific loaded image -- will this still be the functionality using the new DevIL libraries?
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phr00t - I was experimenting with DevIL but I wasn't able to get the getpixel function to work like I can with SDL, so I've decided to stick with SDL and SDL_image. :-/

Yes, though, the functionality will still be the same which ever way. The new polygon collision system I'm working on will probably require a rewrite of the way Sprite works, however, right now I'm trying to convert the C++ version of it to D, would anyone like to help? Razz http://www.dsource.org/projects/arcgames/browser/trunk/polycoly/7RidigBody

~ Clay
Phr00t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay --

Just curious, can you release a v0.15 or something that has the improved image loader, and things like the improved audio library? Unless v.2 is getting close to being released? I'm still working on FreeUniverse, and I have no immediate need for the audio thing, but I may in a month or so Razz

Thanks!
- jeremy
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phr00t - sorry I never saw this. I will not use DevIL until I am able to get perpixel access on the images working correctly. Soon I will have a new release schema and I will create it so a new release will happen shortly with improved audio however.

Also, the reason I am de-stickifying this is because soon something else will take its place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> ArcLib All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: