FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to make a *truly* better alternative to C++

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jangoboy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: How to make a *truly* better alternative to C++ Reply with quote

I thought this blog article might be of value to the D community
JarrettBillingsley

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just snk_kid's ramblings on some ethereal "language better than C++ in all aspects." He's commented on D many times before. He thinks it's a waste of time, because it doesn't implement his magical "dependent type theory system." Whatever that means. I noticed he doesn't actually explain this.
csauls

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JarrettBillingsley wrote:
...because it doesn't implement his magical "dependent type theory system." Whatever that means. I noticed he doesn't actually explain this.

No, he doesn't. Which is a shame. Cheap generic description:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dependent_types

Some more links on the concept:
http://www.google.com/search?q=?2B?22dependent+type+theory?22

It definitely is an interesting idea, and certainly would have some applications in the realm of higher mathematics... but it hardly seems like something to discard a language off-hand over. (Although from snk_kid that's hardly a surprising gesture.)
JarrettBillingsley

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Welp. Whatever it is, I'm sure it's all very useful if you're programming in a high-level functional language. I'm not really sure how on earth something like that would fit into a systems programming language.
jangoboy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!!!Warning!!! I am a begginner !!!Warning!!!

here are some comments on that article which may have some relevance.
http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/1673

I am currently in a conservative shopper mode looking for programming languages, I would like to invest my time in languages favoring ideals over pragmatism to some extent.[/url]
Lutger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jangoboy wrote:
!!!Warning!!! I am a begginner !!!Warning!!!

here are some comments on that article which may have some relevance.
http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/1673

I am currently in a conservative shopper mode looking for programming languages, I would like to invest my time in languages favoring ideals over pragmatism to some extent.[/url]

Well I'm sort of a novice too, with one year C++ and some python and scheme. Plus a couple of months in D now of course. So with a big fat imho, D is probably not what you want, as it is a very pragmatic language more than an experimental / ideal / innovative one.

But D has so many nice 'features' and as a whole, it just stacks up to a fine and well thought out language that is a very enjoyable to program in.
But look further and try things out, like haskell for example it looks interesting. If you try out D, give it some time to see how everything fits together and I'm sure you'll like it.

EDIT: if you don't know this already, this site has some articles and blogs you might be interested in. The book is also quite good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: