FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use of typesafe variadics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
csauls

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Use of typesafe variadics Reply with quote

I just re-read about D's typesafe variadic functions, specifically their behavior when working with classes, and I uncovered a tasty tidbit I had nearly missed. This being, that when a function/method has an arguments signature such as (Foo x ...) where 'Foo' is any class, then the caller may pass either an instance of 'Foo' or any other value(s) (<-- note the optional plural!) matching a constructore of class 'Foo'.

So what does this have to do with Mango? Simple. Maybe we could replace all these:

Code:
class Foo {
  this (FilePath fp) { /* stuff */ }
  this (char[] fp) { this(new FilePath(fp)); }
}

With this:

Code:
class Foo {
  this (FilePath fp ...) { /* stuff */ }
}

What do you think?
kris

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrm ...

I suspect that having the distinct ctors present is notably clearer in terms of what one can legitimately do with a class. I haven't read the doc on this aspect, Chris, but it sounds a bit obfuscated? Maybe not ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Mango All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: