FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Asteroids v0.2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilsonk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Asteroids v0.2 Reply with quote

Hey Clay et al.,

I have changed the Asteroids game enough to deserve a new minor version change to v0.2 (as I believe Clay suggested). I have added a few command line options to control the ship,lasers,enemy ship, etc.....wait a minute did he say "enemy ship". Yes he did, though my graphics leave something to be desired and my coding style may, as well Wink

You can see a screenshot of the enemy here (notice blurred green missile aimed at ship):
http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~wilsonk/snapshot2.bmp

There is a Readme file in my little zip file which lists the available options:
command line options:
-w = wrap around lasers (-ll option only works if this option is on first)
-ls <number> = laser speed(from 5 to 10)
-ll <number> = laser on screen length(from 1200 to 2000)
-e = enable enemy spaceships
-so = turn sound off
-old = use oldStyle ship movement

Bradley Smiths "drifting" ship movement patch is used by default. I like the drifting option the best (thanks Bradley). I also added a "sound off" switch since my sdl_mixer wasn't playing nice with my hardware when it was in use by another application. I changed a couple speed defaults slightly to suit me, as well.

You can download the zip file here:
http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~wilsonk/myAsteroids.zip

You will need to take the enemy.png and enemyLaser.png files and place them in the astbin subdirectory of the Arcgames dir. I think that should be it, but please let me know if something doesn''t work.

Thanks,
Kelly Wilson
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat, perhaps you could include the exe as well?

I just tried compiling your sources and the spaceship does not appear. *confused* I'm busy with polygon collision so I do not feel like debugging it.

Also, you should probably import std.c.string for the strcmp functions.

Anyways, nice work!
/me waits

~ Clay
wilsonk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Clay,

Sorry I forgot to mention that.....the spaceship doesn't appear on my machine either...until I press 'Return' to reset the game. I haven't figured out why yet. I only develop on Linux (FC5) so I'm not sure it the exe will work, but I added it to the zip file.

I have added the import std.string (std.c.string breaks things on my machine but std.string always works??) to asteroids.d.

Thanks,
K.Wilson
wilsonk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Clay,

The ship now appears at startup as it should, but all I did was manually reset everything ahead of the i/o loop in main(). Still not sure why the ship wasn't appearing before (I seemed to get a flash of the ship and then it would disappear??).

Things should work better now. Somebody let me know if that EXE works please Wink

Thanks,
K.Wilson
Rider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently, at a time when I was bored out of my skull, I made an Arcsteroids Graphics pack, containing some updated artwork for this Asteroids game...

I mailed it to Clayosaurus, and now it's also freely downloadable from the web. Get it Here

And Enjoy Smile
wilsonk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rider,

Nice graphics. Thanks for releasing them for the rest of us. If anyone wants to take a stab at a better 'enemy' for v0.2, then by all means, go ahead. I certainly won't take offense, since I suck at graphics Wink

Thanks again,
K.Wilson
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it to work now, it is pretty neat. I'm going to work on some more physics stuff now after my 12hr work day :-/

Rider, ... Long haul Wink

Soon enough, though, after Arc is 'good enough' for an awesome game, we'll start working on it. Peace.
~ Clay

[edit] wilsonk, when Arc v.2 rolls around I will update my version of asteroids and the tutorials to include your features (selectable with a GUI) and Rider's art.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> ArcLib All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: