FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mango sucks ...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kris

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 1:58 am    Post subject: Mango sucks ... Reply with quote

Here's the place to voice gripes, misgivings, bogus functionality, design issues and everything else that bugs you about Mango ...
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell was I thinking last night. Lots of drunk posts. Oh well, they're gone.
kris

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a maniac Brad <g>

Just to get things rolling, here's a list of my current gripes:

1) I don't like having to explicitly import so many modules

2) Uri.d and Utils.d should be in the mango.io package rather than mango.server.util

3) conversion routines in mango.io.Token should be moved elsewhere

4) sprintf usage should be replaced with something more specific in mango.io.DisplayWriter

5) mango.io.ColumnWriter supports only left-alignment

6) HttpClient has limited support for cookies

7) SerializableRegistry requires a full class instance. Should perhaps take an ISerializableFactory instead?

8) Support for wide-chars is very limited

9) keep-alive is not supported in the HTTP server, although there are serious questions about the usefulness of such notions vis-a-vis servlets

10) currently no HTTPS support for the server

11) Cache elements often require casting. Templates would fix this, but I don't know if that's really appropriate either

12) I'm not wild about the C++ IO style (<< & >>), but perhaps it's better to cater to a wider audience?
- Kris
kris

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another gripe:

unittest.d is not a unit-test at all. Rather, it's primarily a bunch of semi-interactive examples. Mango really needs a decent self-checking unit-test.
csauls

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kris wrote:

You could try moving certain logical imports to public... like FileStyle in FileConduit, since anyone using FileConduit is almost definitely going to want FileStyle.

On another note, I'd also personally like to see better HTTP support since I'm thinking of using Mango for NeoMOO, with plans to integrate HTTP facilities into it. (Which would save some MOO-coders a lot of time writing web interface boilerplate.)
kris

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

csauls wrote:
You could try moving certain logical imports to public... like FileStyle in FileConduit, since anyone using FileConduit is almost definitely going to want FileStyle.

That's a fine idea. I'll get on it, pronto.

csauls wrote:
On another note, I'd also personally like to see better HTTP support since I'm thinking of using Mango for NeoMOO, with plans to integrate HTTP facilities into it. (Which would save some MOO-coders a lot of time writing web interface boilerplate.)

That sounds interesting. What did you have in mind vis-a-vis "better HTTP support"? IOW, what's currently missing that you'd need?

- Kris
kris

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

csauls wrote:
kris wrote:

Done. I exposed various imports as public; mostly the ones that are used as constructor arguments.

- Kris
stonecobra

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: those damn comments Reply with quote

All of those comments are getting in the way of my ability to read the code. It's like looking through a vertical shade Smile

kris

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: those damn comments Reply with quote

stonecobra wrote:
All of those comments are getting in the way of my ability to read the code. It's like looking through a vertical shade Smile

LOL ... you mean all those lines of 79 '*' characters? It's a habit I got into long ago, and I'm now so old it's tough to change Crying or Very sad

Wanna' write a script to change them all to Java style? Oh, go on ... <g>
kris

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kris wrote:
2) Uri.d and Utils.d should be in the mango.io package rather than mango.server.util

Beta 7 fixes this, and FilePath takes advantage via a toUri() method

- Kris
sean

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kris wrote:

12) I'm not wild about the C++ IO style (<< & >>), but perhaps it's better to cater to a wider audience?

I'm not either, but it allows for one thing that would be otherwise lacking: invisible support for user-defined types, particularly when templates are involved. For example, say I have a function like this:

Code:

template Print( Type ) {
    void Print( OStream out, Type val ) {
        // what if val is a UDT?
        out.put( val );
        // this will always work so long as the user has defined opShl for his class
        out << val;
}                     

So unless someone can come up with a different solution, I think the C++ method may be necessary. I've been trying to think of one, but no luck so far.
kris

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
kris wrote:

I'm not either, but it allows for one thing that would be otherwise lacking: invisible support for user-defined types, particularly when templates are involved. For example, say I have a function like this:

Code:

template Print( Type ) {
    void Print( OStream out, Type val ) {
        // what if val is a UDT?
        out.put( val );
        // this will always work so long as the user has defined opShl for his class
        out << val;
}                     

So unless someone can come up with a different solution, I think the C++ method may be necessary. I've been trying to think of one, but no luck so far.

Mango.io uses an Interface to bind any user-defined class directly to the IO system. In fact, it's the basis of the CompositeReader/Writer functions along with class serialization. I *think* that should work in all situations. I tried the rValue >>/<< initially (back in March, before it worked properly) and didn't like it at all. Really wish you'd take a much deeper look at mango.io Sean; perhaps you'd be converted too!

And if I see you copying that Interface resolution into std.streams I'll be pissed Twisted Evil
csauls

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kris wrote:
What did you have in mind vis-a-vis "better HTTP support"? IOW, what's currently missing that you'd need?

Nothing hugely spectacular. Try to get up to HTTP/1.1, and get some kind of HTTPS support (since I'd prefer Neo's http_* functions bind secure ports).
kris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

csauls wrote:
kris wrote:
What did you have in mind vis-a-vis "better HTTP support"? IOW, what's currently missing that you'd need?

Nothing hugely spectacular. Try to get up to HTTP/1.1, and get some kind of HTTPS support (since I'd prefer Neo's http_* functions bind secure ports).

You're right. I've looked at OpenSSL long enough to form an opinion and nothing more. I'd really prefer someone who has the relevant experience to take that one on, rather than screwing it up myself. I just don't have the experience with that side of things to do a good job in a reasonable amount of time. I had hoped, and still hope, that someone would be interested enough in that to adopt it.

Can you perhaps expound on exactly what you want from the http/1.1 spec please Chris? That would be really helpful

- Kris
sean

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kris wrote:

Mango.io uses an Interface to bind any user-defined class directly to the IO system. In fact, it's the basis of the CompositeReader/Writer functions along with class serialization. I *think* that should work in all situations. I tried the rValue >>/<< initially (back in March, before it worked properly) and didn't like it at all. Really wish you'd take a much deeper look at mango.io Sean; perhaps you'd be converted too!

Once I finish with my std.stream changes I'm going to dive into Mango... but based on newsgroup talk I'm already being won over Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Mango All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: