FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new Duit naming

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: new Duit naming Reply with quote

It's time to think on the name for Duit.

Duit is fine but there are too many matches on google even just for IT.

Duit is pronounce " do it".

what about Douit - also pronounce "do it"?

and what about keeping the name DUI?

Ant
h3r3tic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: new Duit naming Reply with quote

Ant wrote:
what about Douit - also pronounce "do it"?

I dont like it Rolling Eyes

How about DGTK or GTKD ?
Graphical User Interface Library for D (GUILD) would be cool but Google obviously finds a lot of these Wink
JJR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Tom. Douit doesn't quite do it. Razz

GUILD is quite clever; I like it. Frankly, I'm wondering whether it's worth worrying about Google at all. It will be very difficult to choose a satisfactory name that Google doesn't know about already.

Any other suggestions?

-JJR
kaarna

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: GtkD Reply with quote

First (off topic):

Great to see that some people are bringing a D binding for GTK+ up to date! I had already started doing it myself for five minutes, but then I thought that, propably someone else has already done this.

Second (on the name):

I think there are two different emphasis' that could be chosen. You might want to choose a name that points to the D community that you're trying to make a GUI-library for them. I think DUI or Duit, reflects this very well.
Or you might want to try to appeal to the whole open source community, and particularly gnome/gtk+/gtkmm programmers. I think, that in this case the name should be in line with the following bindings for the big languages:

C++ - gtkmm
Java - java-gnome
Perl - gtk2-perl
Python - PyGTK

And I personally would prefer keeping the GTK letters there, to show people with just the first glance, that this is actually a binding for GTK+.
So, it should be either DGtk or GtkD.
And this would go well with the "first letter capitalized" thing that you're doing to the original GTK+ functions. (gtkmm for instance isn't doing this, they're preserving them as "do_something()".)

So if my vote counts, I vote for

GtkD

-only 701 google hits (today)!
Ant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: GtkD Reply with quote

satelliittipupu wrote:

So if my vote counts, I vote for

GtkD

-only 701 google hits (today)!

I'm starting to agree GtkD would be better help get more attention to D.
The D community can make the transition from DUI to GtkD.

Ant
he-man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GtkD would be good I think, more identificable for the community.
PsychoBrat

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to agree with 'GtkD', for what it's worth. (maybe knowing that more randoms agree with the idea is somehow reassuring? Smile)

What is the current approach to this project. Are you planning on:
  • Mostly one-to-one relationship with GTK functions, etc; or
  • gtkmm-style wrappers to make a proper object-oriented interface; or
  • Something more fancy, including things like swing-style callbacks to make use of d's more advanced features; or
  • Something else I've failed to think of

-Jeff
Calvin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote as well for GtkD. It looks and sounds good. Smile
PsychoBrat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to resurrect this topic with a proposal, since it seems awfully quiet around here.

As far as naming is concerned, "GTKD" might not look quite as nice, but I'd favour it over "GtkD" simply because it makes more sense; when did the 'T' and 'K' cease to be initials? Wink I'd also be happy enough with "gtkd", since at least it's consistent.

My proposal is to split the project into two parts:
  1. gtkc - Fully functional and as direct as possible bindings to GTK and companion libraries / dependencies (cairo, glib, etc.). Nothing clever like allowing functions to take d-style strings would be done here; very much the basics.
  2. gtkd - The more advanced D wrappers around GTK and friends, based on the direct bindings in gtkc. This would be what gtkmm and cairomm are to C++ (but making use of the nice features afforded to us in D Smile).
So the package structure could, for example, end up something like the following:
Code:
gtkc
|-gtkc.gtk
'-gtkc.cairo
gtkd
|-gtkd.gtk
'-gtkd.cairo

It would be good to have a common parent for both trees, so long as people aren't put off by having ugly statements along the lines of import gtkd.gtkd.gtk in their projects! Perhaps a broader name could be chosen for the top-level project, but still have an attempt to encompass all immediately relevant libraries (at least in the 'direct' bindings)? It might seem overly ambitious, but developers for individual bindings/wrappers could retain autonomy (to a reasonable extent) and it makes sense to me to try to focus development efforts.

Any thoughts?
Ant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PsychoBrat wrote:
[...]Any thoughts?

I like the idea.
your gtkc alreay exists: it's the lib package.
I think renaming it will have no impact on existing code - and it's a good idea.

the real change will be to make the access to the gtkc bindings officially public
and garanty that will be stable.

the bingings can already be used directly (never tried it) and probably the loading procedures should be start only if Duit is used to start Gtk.

GTKD is ugly I like gtkd.

Ant
JJR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ideas, PsychoBrat. If Ant agrees, it must be even better. Smile

I think your suggestion is the way to go. gtkd (or whatever variation) seems good enough too. Smile

-JJR
PsychoBrat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think it would actually be wise to attempt to bring bindings and OO abstractions for associated libraries such as cairo, pango and atk under the one master project, or would it be better to "lead by example" by providing a clean package structure and conventions that other related projects could follow?

Daniel Keep has contributed his cairo bindings to the bindings project on dsource (see http://dsource.org/projects/bindings/browser/trunk/cairo), and, as far as I know, he's sticking fairly closely to cairomm's style for his OO layer. It would be good if we could get in touch with him and figure out some standards for issues that are going to be relevant across bindings and OO abstractions for all these related libraries.

His work looks nice so far, but I'm not sure I like the sound of "cairooo"! Wink
slomojo83

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, gtkd seems like the best name. At first when I looked at the project, it was hard to tell its relationship with GTK.

Thanks for the work on this project. I have been wanting to try D for years, but it has never seemed to have enough support and be polished enough to seriously consider until recently. Having a full GUI library will help the popularity of D tremendously!
PsychoBrat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slomojo83 wrote:
To me, gtkd seems like the best name. At first when I looked at the project, it was hard to tell its relationship with GTK.

Just going to take this opportunity to shout out a huge "ditto!". One certainly shouldn't underestimate the importance of this; if gtkmm had been called "cppui" or some other such random name, I doubt it would have met the same level of acceptance. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> gtkD All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: