FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

XPath support planned

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: XPath support planned Reply with quote

John and/or Kris,

Any thoughts as to supporting XPath in mango.xml ??

BA
pragma

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to think of it, I'm curious about this too.

John, did you get a chance to browse through those DOM interfaces I cooked up? Smile
teqdruid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, didn't see this until today.

I don't currently have any plans to implement XPath, since I personally have no use for or interest in it.

I took a quick look through the DOM interfaces you did, but haven't had much of a chance to look at them... I'm still in the process of pushing this SAX stuff out the door.

Once I do get the SAX stuff ready, I'll be moving the XML-RPC library over to SAX. Past that, however, I have no plans for the XML lib.

As far as DOM goes, I've been shying away from it as late; this is mainly for two reasons. First, SAX is faster and requires less memory. Second, SAX is simple and it gets the job done rather well. DOM, in contrast, is incredibly bloated and has all these (IMHO BS) technologies surrounding it. While I'm sure a lot of people like the various XML technologies such as XPath, and they can be quite useful, I don't like them.

But that's probably because I don't like XML. I used to like XML. I still like older XML, but all this new stuff is hanging way to much crap off the carrier pigeon that is XML. As far as I'm concerned with XML, basic XML is great for messaging and for some information storage, but past that I don't use it. DTDs and schemas are nice additions to the original spec, but anything past that is too much for me. Based on that, you can probably tell why I'm not enthused about a full DOM implementation. (It's probably also obvious why I use XML-RPC instead of SOAP)

That being said, since higher level DOM and some of these technologies are quite popular, I can see that having these things in Mango would be very beneficial for the library and for D. So, if anyone is interesting in adding it to my current DOM implementation have at it. Eric, if you're interested in porting your current stuff (which does look good, if you're into the whole DOM thing) to Mango, I'd have no problem with it superseeding/replacing/complementing my DOM stuff. If you are interested, I may refactor my current stuff into an SDOM (s for simple) interface, for those who like DOM-style but not DOM itself.

Anyway, I'm open to changes in mango.xml.dom, but don't have a ton interest (and even less time) to do them myself.

~John
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Mango All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: